2003 Ebbtide Mercruiser 3.0 engine rattle? Normal?

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Yes but understand what all dodge was saying, unless you have an ingition system problem like weak coil bad cap and rotor or bad wires it should start with a .030 or .045” gap. Pull a plug crank and see if you have spark or
as mentioned if you pour a little gas down carb or spray a touch of starting fluid in and it coughs or runs briefly then dies …it verifies you have spark.

you rebuilt the carb at the same time right? and mention when you davance the throttle no gas comes out of the accelerator pump. This means there is no gas in carb. Would take fuel line off carb crank and see if gas is being pumped into carb. If it is verify screen in carb inlet is installed correctly and needle seat and float is working. From what you’ve described seems like after carb rebuild you are nit getting gas into carb.

i get gas to car and i see it squirt good from the 2 ports. Ill verify spark

Scott06

Vice Admiral
i get gas to car and i see it squirt good from the 2 ports. Ill verify spark
Take hi volt wire from coil off center post of distributor and hold close to clean ground on engine block, crank engine should see a good blue spark that can jump 3/8”/10 mm or so. If not spark here will need to diagnose distributor sensor and ignition module.
if you have spark off coil, verify you get spark at the plugs. If not spark there check cap and rotor, plug wires

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Take hi volt wire from coil off center post of distributor and hold close to clean ground on engine block, crank engine should see a good blue spark that can jump 3/8”/10 mm or so. If not spark here will need to diagnose distributor sensor and ignition module.
if you have spark off coil, verify you get spark at the plugs. If not spark there check cap and rotor, plug wires
i got a good strong spark. it shocked me good 😂 and i saw the blue spark 👍

Scott06

Vice Admiral
i got 12v at the plug and i got a strong good spark from the center cable to ground.
Ok do you have it at the spark plugs? If you have it at the center cable you must be loosing it inside the distributor cap. Maybe connection between center post and rotor is gone

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
Ok do you have it at the spark plugs? If you have it at the center cable you must be loosing it inside the distributor cap. Maybe connection between center post and rotor is gone
ill check that next tomorrow

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
i think i found out the issue , it was being deprived of gas from the carb. The carb would sometimes squirt gas and most of the time wouldnt. So i took out the carb and dissembled it and the float was just dangling way to much (i never measured it when rebuilding , i know stupid me). i think the issue was the needle getting stuck even when the float drops. i tried blowing into the carb from the gas inlet and nothing just blocked. Fiddling around i realized how sensitive those rubber needles are. i have a couple needles and some for some odd reason just as soon as u drop in its place it gets stuck even if i flip the carb a couple times just stuck. so i found one needle that will freely open and close the main gas inlet valve. I varify by blowing into the main inlet. So i think i found the issue ill install the carb tom and im pretty sure shell be good. If not ill be back 😂😂

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
well its still not running 😞😑 feul is squirting out of the venturis good but just wont run? i checked all 4 spark plugs and they do have spark! vrry strong they shocked me good through a thick shop rag. I noticed the engine would run without plug 1 or 4 ??🤔🤔 but very rough. It just ran for a sec or 2 and until i shut it off.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
It ran with 2 plugs but not 4? Recheck your wire order on your distributor cap and your timing

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
It ran with 2 plugs but not 4? Recheck your wire order on your distributor cap and your timing
no when i unplugged cylinder one to test out spark it ran and same for last cylinder. so 3 cylinders. Yeah im thinking maybe one or more of my plugs or.cables are bad .

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
ok i tested all the cables and spark plugs with multi meter and all are good the inner contacts of the distributor cap were corroded a little i cleaned them out it back.I also turned the idle screw clockwise some more and she ran for like 10 seconds and turned off ?? 🤔🤔 i just rebuilt the carb again. For the float drop i measured about 20/32 and upside down around 1 and 5/32 close enough? i added a little bit because the gasket in the kit was superthin not like the original one. all thats left is maybe timing or distributer off ??

ilove2fixx

Chief Petty Officer
here are pics of the cap

Attachments

• 20220212_174657.jpg
    20220212_174657.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220212_172759.jpg
    20220212_172759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20220212_172823.jpg
    20220212_172823.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 11

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
And get a new cap and rotor. I'm wondering what the orange stuff is under the inside of the dizzy?

Scott06

Vice Admiral
ok i tested all the cables and spark plugs with multi meter and all are good the inner contacts of the distributor cap were corroded a little i cleaned them out it back.I also turned the idle screw clockwise some more and she ran for like 10 seconds and turned off ?? 🤔🤔 i just rebuilt the carb again. For the float drop i measured about 20/32 and upside down around 1 and 5/32 close enough? i added a little bit because the gasket in the kit was superthin not like the original one. all thats left is maybe timing or distributer off ??
If the float level is a little higher or lower than spec it will only make it richer or leaner a touch.

yes timing but you mention. Idle speed screw adjusting improving it, try turning it in more to open throttle blades some. It maybe be backed out too much or linkage was reinstalled wrong to keep it idling. Does choke close and is idle mixture screw out about 1.25-1.5 turns ? You can loosen the distributor hold down bolt and turn it while cranking to see if moving the timing gets it running.
if you have compression and spark and dump a little gas down you should at least get a backfire, cough etc. keep a small container of gas a dribble it down the carb see if u can keep it running. Just be careful If you get A backfire.…just keep a fire extinguisher or open beer handy, either will snuff out a fire…

alldodge

Staff member
Yes, remove plug to disable shift interruptor

The TBI has an IAC which "should" control idle air flow. The OP mentioned about giving it more throttle and it didn't stay running, or at least I think he said something like that