2002 Launch 25 Maintenance - Advice Welcome

RJAJr

Cadet
Hello all, new Owner (July 2018) new forum member and first post.
Quick Background, I purchased this Launch 25 Heritage Package from a single owner in July of this year. It was highly sought after by the locals here (Wisconsin Lake Winnebago Chain) but I was the first one to him when he put it up for sale. It is incredibly well maintained with only 290 hours on the Volvo Penta 5.7Gxi Duo Prop.

The previous owner had a local Marina do all of his maintenance where I will handle the routine stuff going forward. I have searched and found great sites for my engine maintenance and other aspects of the boat but i am pleased to find a somewhat Chris Craft specific forum attached to a larger boat information forum.

My specific question today is my current project which is refurbishing the teak deck. The wood is in great condition as is the caulking. But it was very very dark, to dark for my liking. I have no idea what caused it to become so dark over the years. I attached a couple of pictures one is before I started and the second is of my first sanding with 60 grit. I was not overly aggressive I just did my best to chew through the built up finish and get to the bare wood. The swim platform was the worst in regards to greying and crowning caulk I have since smoothed that out.

So here is my plan going forward. and a couple of questions.

I plan to sand the deck lightly one more time with 120 grit and detail sand the few spots I could not get with the random orbit.

Treat the deck with Star Brite Cleaner and Brightener to clean the deck of any remaining contaminates and get it ready for the final step.

Final step I am torn between a sealer or an oil. I have heard great things about the sealers while the oils are tried and true. I am leaning towards the sealer, any advice is appreciated. I have also considered using oil at the interior and a sealer on the swim platform as it is in the harshest condition.

Will tag one last question on here. The Deck Rail is for sure Varnished Teak. Why is that varnished and the rest of the teak not varnished? Did the previous owner have that done or is that how it comes from Chris Craft. It is in decent shape so I am just wondering if I should redo that to match the rest of the teak or leave as is.

Thanks
Bob

Attachments

• photo305022.jpg
    photo305022.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo305023.jpg
    photo305023.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

RJAJr

Cadet
Following up, I spoke directly with Chris Craft no Varnish was ever used on boats from the factory so that varnish on the deck rail is coming off. I have decided to use Teak Sealer over oil and my hope is everything looks very uniform when I am complete. I will keep you all posted on the project and hopefully it can help someone down the line.

Bob

RJAJr

Cadet
To finish up this thread here are pictures of the finished product Procedure was, Sand off old black teak oil from the deck, strip the deck rails that had been varnished with a heat gun and then sand them out by hand. Clean it all with Starbrite teak cleaner/brightener. Then seal with Starbrite classic teak teak sealer. Going forward teak will be cleaned and brightened each fall and a fresh coat of sealer added.

Attachments

• photo305022.jpg
    photo305022.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo313002.jpg
    photo313002.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo313003.jpg
    photo313003.jpg
    320.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo313004.jpg
    photo313004.jpg