2002 Johnson 9.9 4 Stroke -How do you Remove Lower Gear Case?

Johnsuki99

Cadet
Hi Guys
Just joined I have a question about lowering the gear case to change the impeller on this motor 2002 Johnson 9.9hp 4 stroke short shaft model number J10r4st.
I understand that Suzuki built it. My son brought it home and we are going through it.
I did find a 2006 service manual online but what it shows is not what is here. There are only 4 bolts to remove not 6 and when you open lower case a bit to make a gap you do not see a shift lock nut to undo to take the lower unit apart. I have attached a pic of what can be seen.
Have read online that you need to do something near the power head on some models but there is no nut up there to undo either ? I don't think what is in the picture gets undone its pretty tight did not want to mess with it.
All the marinas closed till Monday was hoping to get this off and see how bad the water pump impeller is. Any help appreciated.

Attachments

• Johnson 4 stroke 9.9 hp.jpg
    Johnson 4 stroke 9.9 hp.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 6

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You have to loosen the lock nut.---Then turn the long nut below it.

Johnsuki99

Cadet
Aw ok. When looking straight at it with the motor down you're turning the lock nut and the long nut clockwise as if to tighten. That was throwing me off. But now when I think about it the rod is really coming down from above and if you look at it that way you are turning counter clockwise. Thank you very much. .