2002 175hp Mercury Trim Sending Unit

5string

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thread starter
Joined
Oct 25, 2001
Messages
75
Any Idea why my trim gauge reads full up all the time? I tried to loosen the 2 Philips head screws that hold on the sending unit but they wont budge. They are'nt corroded but I just can't break them loose. I thought if I could get it loose then I could check it to see if it is working. This boat is like brand new and has only been in the water a few times. I did notice the rubber gasket is dried up and falling apart that is around the sending unit and I thought maybe water got in? I followed the wire from the guage and all looks fine.

5string in NC
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: 2002 175hp Mercury Trim Sending Unit

your are on the right track water intrusion, bad sensor. get a phillips bit that fits the head.
 

rickdb1boat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Jan 23, 2002
Messages
11,195
Re: 2002 175hp Mercury Trim Sending Unit

Merc. sending units are known for their failure rate. But before you condem it, make sure you have power and a good ground at the gauge. Many will read full up with no power to them...
 
Top