2001 Yamaha 70TLRA no spark

MSST8DOG

Cadet
I just picked up boat from family member. It has been stored in a shed for over 7 years.
I have no spark.
I removed spark plugs and fuel filter. bought new and then used spray lubricant into all three cylinders and let it sit for a day, repeated lubricant process 2 more times. I then turned the motor over (with the kill switch active and spark plugs removed so it wouldn't be sparking and cause a fire) to blow out excess lubricant.
I cleaned carbs, fuel lines, filter, tank, and put fresh gas in tank.
I turned it over and it fired up, ran rough about 4 or 5 seconds and died. Hasn't fired again.
I used a spark plug tester and turned over with no spark in any cylinder.
Should I start with testing CDI or wiring from switches? I have a nice multimeter that I can use.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Heading to town, will check for answers when I get back.
Lee

MSST8DOG

Cadet
Fixed! The kill switch clip(?) was not holding the switch far enough out to disengage the shorting connection.

MSST8DOG

Cadet
Problem resurfaced. I have no spark.
Ran motor for 15-20 minutes at various speeds. Idle was smooth and increase throttle was not smooth. Took it to lake to see if there was a difference when in the water instead of on hose or in barrel.
Smooth idle, did not want to take fuel when throttle was increased. Stalled out, but cranked right up, idled smooth.
Worked throttle incrementally increasing and decreasing until it was running faster, when it reached 1/4-1/3 throttle it smoothed out and ran perfect all the way to WOT. I took it home and ordered kits for carbs. Cleaned carbs and put kits in (all gaskets, floats & pins, and needles) reassembled everything and attempted to crank.
Fired right up and ran like a brand new one. Idle and increased throttle were both smooth. Ran it in barrel until it warned up. It sputtered once and died. Cranked right up and died after running rough for a few seconds.
I had to jump the battery because it would barely turn over. I used a 300 amp starter/charger. I left the charger on 300 amps for a couple of minutes (forgot to switch it to normal charging). Now it has no spark, did I fry the CDI with the jump procedure?
How do you test a CDI?

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
First sentence says "I have no spark".

Second sentence says "Ran motor for 15-20 minutes...".

I am confused. How was the motor able to run for any time at all without spark?