2001 Optimax SmartCraft Wiring / Questions

alldodge

Staff member
So I obviously have the newer one that doesn't have any resistor in-line.. Does this mean I have the wrong cable, or do I just need to add an external yellow cap resistor to my junction box, do you think?

Ahhh no, and sort of
Using pic in post 14, there are 2 types and yours is the one on top with a resistor built into each end of the cable. It shows no resistor is needed with the J box and only using weather caps

The another one has only one resistor built into the cable so that end is marked so it will only be installed in one location. And one resistor is used on one connection of the J box.

All this said, the pic showing the weather caps also was for another manual discussing installing a Tach and Speedometer.

chackett

Seaman
Ahhh no, and sort of
Using pic in post 14, there are 2 types and yours is the one on top with a resistor built into each end of the cable. It shows no resistor is needed with the J box and only using weather caps

The another one has only one resistor built into the cable so that end is marked so it will only be installed in one location. And one resistor is used on one connection of the J box.

All this said, the pic showing the weather caps also was for another manual discussing installing a Tach and Speedometer.
Geesh, they seem to make this more complicated than it needs to be. In the diagram in post #14, the cable shows several pigtails on it. Mine definitely doesn't have any connectors on it other than the 10 pin CAN ones at each end.. I still have no idea what I need to do to make this work lol. And who knows .. maybe I have it hooked up right, but the gauge is just broken.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know why they show the extra connections on the newer cable because the pics of the actual part does not have them. It most likely has to do with other things going forward in the manual

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Wow .. ok .. I had no idea there were different versions of that cable. So I obviously have the newer one that doesn't have any resistor in-line.. Does this mean I have the wrong cable, or do I just need to add an external yellow cap resistor to my junction box, do you think?
Thanks you!
And thanks QBhoy - I would also appreciate any photos. The more I see, the more I learn for sure. Thanks!

Chris
Is it the sc1000 gauges ? That’s what I have. I have the manual here too. I’ve not long had a replacement gauge sent to me under warranty. The screen messed up too.

chackett

Seaman
Is it the sc1000 gauges ? That’s what I have. I have the manual here too. I’ve not long had a replacement gauge sent to me under warranty. The screen messed up too.
Yessir. I've got the SC1000 gauges .. one tach and one speedo. I believe the tach is operable, but I might have fried the speedo :) I'm pretty sure I can repair / fix the burned out LCD screens.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Found some more info but this list 2006 and on
that's the one I was saying about earlier. So my 2003 Mercrusier had that purple terminator cap. I had to buy a yellow one to get the smart craft vessel view to work. I believe 2005/2006 onwards come with the yellow one instead of purple already. I am not sure if this is relevant for the outboards and full sc1000 network too. I will be at my outboard (2016 merc) boat over the weekend..keen to have a look under the dash and under the hood to see the set up now. always meant to look properly..but never had the need to. Last time I was under the dash...I did notice a network branch type gang. I have lots plugged into the network. SC1000 gauges x2...fuel gauge and its system, speedo paddle wheel and temp sensor and also a plug from a primary fuel filter with water alarm on it. I will have a close look asap. Have the full manuals for it all too.

chackett

Seaman
that's the one I was saying about earlier. So my 2003 Mercrusier had that purple terminator cap. I had to buy a yellow one to get the smart craft vessel view to work. I believe 2005/2006 onwards come with the yellow one instead of purple already. I am not sure if this is relevant for the outboards and full sc1000 network too. I will be at my outboard (2016 merc) boat over the weekend..keen to have a look under the dash and under the hood to see the set up now. always meant to look properly..but never had the need to. Last time I was under the dash...I did notice a network branch type gang. I have lots plugged into the network. SC1000 gauges x2...fuel gauge and its system, speedo paddle wheel and temp sensor and also a plug from a primary fuel filter with water alarm on it. I will have a close look asap. Have the full manuals for it all too.
Thanks man. I'm still at a loss on this for my particular setup. Since mine is an outboard and it's a 2001, who knows what I need. I did go over to the boat yesterday and has a real honest look for a 10 PIN CAN network plug that was/is part of the primary wiring harness, but I couldn't find one. I guess I was kind of hoping I would find it and be able to plug my tach harness into that, but no such luck. I've still got just the one 10-pin that I think is often referred to as the "engine mounted" CAN connector, a long blue cable plugged into that, to a junction box, and then the tachometer harness going from the junction box to the actual SC1000 tachometer. The Junction box has only dust caps and no terminators on it anywhere.
By the way, the tachometer seems to have power, but as I mentioned, the actual needle doesn't move when I start the engine. and as for the LCD screen, it's burned out so I can't read it (although I can see it well enough to know it's got power and is trying to display something). All I really want working is the actual tachometer needle.
Beyond buying a yellow cap terminator and plugging it into the junction box, I really don't know what else to do at this point.
Maybe I can find someone locally who has a working SC1000 tachometer and see if they'll let me plug my tach in and see if it works. It'd be nice to confirm the actual gauge is functioning properly :)

Thanks all .. really appreciate the help.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the manual, it would appear there are several generations (colors) of cables and termination resistors related to the PCM used in the motor. Can't mix and match

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Thanks man. I'm still at a loss on this for my particular setup. Since mine is an outboard and it's a 2001, who knows what I need. I did go over to the boat yesterday and has a real honest look for a 10 PIN CAN network plug that was/is part of the primary wiring harness, but I couldn't find one. I guess I was kind of hoping I would find it and be able to plug my tach harness into that, but no such luck. I've still got just the one 10-pin that I think is often referred to as the "engine mounted" CAN connector, a long blue cable plugged into that, to a junction box, and then the tachometer harness going from the junction box to the actual SC1000 tachometer. The Junction box has only dust caps and no terminators on it anywhere.
By the way, the tachometer seems to have power, but as I mentioned, the actual needle doesn't move when I start the engine. and as for the LCD screen, it's burned out so I can't read it (although I can see it well enough to know it's got power and is trying to display something). All I really want working is the actual tachometer needle.
Beyond buying a yellow cap terminator and plugging it into the junction box, I really don't know what else to do at this point.
Maybe I can find someone locally who has a working SC1000 tachometer and see if they'll let me plug my tach in and see if it works. It'd be nice to confirm the actual gauge is functioning properly :)

Thanks all .. really appreciate the help.
I’ll go look ASAP and see what I have for you. I know that the two gauges need to both plug into a network gang (mine is under dash) so they can talk to each other. One is the master (the tachometer usually) and the other slave (speedo). The tach has more functions to it for sure. Let me take some photos and get back to you. You can also do a master reset that will allow the gauges to reset and search for the network and engine from scratch.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
So had a look in there today and added a VesselView mobile device too.
I have a 4 plug junction box under dash. One was blanked off with a plug and yellow terminator resistor. I put the VesselView in there and put the purple weather cap on that. All is well. If you only have one gauge or maybe even 2…you may not have the Junction box. You need it for anything more than just the gauges.

chackett

Seaman
So had a look in there today and added a VesselView mobile device too.
I have a 4 plug junction box under dash. One was blanked off with a plug and yellow terminator resistor. I put the VesselView in there and put the purple weather cap on that. All is well. If you only have one gauge or maybe even 2…you may not have the Junction box. You need it for anything more than just the gauges.
I really appreciate you following up on this .. thank you. Everything I have, I installed :) What I have is probably the same 4 port junction box in the console. One plug has the blue cable that goes back to the engine and plugs into the 10 PIN CAN connector that's under the cowling. Another of the ports on the 4 port box is connected to the tachometer wiring harness, which is of course in turn connected to the SC1000 tachometer. The other 2 ports on the junction box are just covered with the expected, plain weather cap.

I think the first thing for me to try is to add a yellow resistor to one of the other ports on the junction box. My tach definitely gets power, but doesn't seem to be getting any data.

Thanks again for following up on this, I really appreciate it.
Chris

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I really appreciate you following up on this .. thank you. Everything I have, I installed :) What I have is probably the same 4 port junction box in the console. One plug has the blue cable that goes back to the engine and plugs into the 10 PIN CAN connector that's under the cowling. Another of the ports on the 4 port box is connected to the tachometer wiring harness, which is of course in turn connected to the SC1000 tachometer. The other 2 ports on the junction box are just covered with the expected, plain weather cap.

I think the first thing for me to try is to add a yellow resistor to one of the other ports on the junction box. My tach definitely gets power, but doesn't seem to be getting any data.

Chris
No bother. Tell you what. I’ll go look and get pictures of exactly where mine go. Not totally sure I understand how mine is working. Having 4 ports…
Because I have two sc1000 gauges, a fuel water sensor that goes somewhere to smart craft, a fuel tank smart craft sensor and a blank one left over with yellow cap. That’s where I put the vessel view mobile into (but removed yellow cap for a purple weather cap). So either my two gauges go into one somehow or I’m not sure why I had a spare ?
Get pics and more detail soon for you. But suspect you need a yellow terminator in your blank one for it to work…if you have a purple one there now.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral

Chris
Excuse the messy under dash ! Some pics I took just there. You’ll see I have volt gauge, fuel gauge going into the system at the rear of gauges. Then gauges going into junction box. Along with the main cable from the engine. And now also VesselView. Vessel view went into the bottom left port. That had a yellow terminator in there originally blanked, for the rest to work previously.

Chris
more for you Chris

Chris
Edit. In picture of junction box. The blank one was top left as pictured. That has yellow terminator cap in. Now has VesselView with a purple cap instead. Needs a yellow one to work previously when it wasn’t used.

Attachments

• 768E8A25-0A6C-421C-8680-074A806E223C.jpeg
    768E8A25-0A6C-421C-8680-074A806E223C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 1786EB18-0AD2-4353-8585-3F49CAFEFA5D.jpeg
    1786EB18-0AD2-4353-8585-3F49CAFEFA5D.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 95D56E28-A07C-4D8C-8672-497E51688281.jpeg
    95D56E28-A07C-4D8C-8672-497E51688281.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 4
  • 30E67974-CB9A-44EA-8A5C-49FD95CEA9B4.jpeg
    30E67974-CB9A-44EA-8A5C-49FD95CEA9B4.jpeg