2000 Volvo Penta 5.7 Gfi with no spark

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
So I received the ECM back from Bob along with MEFI scan software and a USB connecting cable. Will load that on a spare laptop tomorrow.

Bob cleared codes for low system voltage and low oil pressure as well as MAP high and MAP low codes. All sensors and relays and IAC are good. Also IC and bypass good (do not know what that means).

Will install the ECU tomorrow and go from there.

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
No I have not. I checked the engine to see if it lit up a test light when connected to a positive battery terminal.
When I saw the low system voltage error message that same thought as you did occur to me so will be checking all those ground connections for sure.

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
The major ground connection to the Engine is good.
However after installing the ECM I now have no voltage to the fuel pump relay. I did before. All fuses are okay.So one step forward and 2 steps back.

I did notice that the reset switch terminals are quite rusty and one of them its difficult to get the test light to activate. I will clean them up but I doubt that is the issue.
The MAFI scan software is not at all intuitive as far as loading it is concerned so will spend more time on that next.

alldodge

Staff member
Go back to the wiring diagrams previous
Check for power at the FP relay, should be 12V on 2 of the pins

One of the pins go to the ECM and it should apply a ground to coil side of relay when key is turned to run/on

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
Go back to the wiring diagrams previous
Check for power at the FP relay, should be 12V on 2 of the pins

One of the pins go to the ECM and it should apply a ground to coil side of relay when key is turned to run/on
Only power to one of the pins.
Also the engine does not turn over now whereas it did before.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I did notice that the reset switch terminals are quite rusty and one of them its difficult to get the test light to activate. I will clean them up but I doubt that is the issue.

That could very well be the issue all along. That is the main 12v supply for the engine harness/ecm. Sure you may have been seeing voltage throughout the harness but probably not good, clean voltage. Corrosion chews up amperage quickly and seeing rust at the main reset/breaker is not good

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
That could very well be the issue all along. That is the main 12v supply for the engine harness/ecm. Sure you may have been seeing voltage throughout the harness but probably not good, clean voltage. Corrosion chews up amperage quickly and seeing rust at the main reset/breaker is not good
I think you are correct. When I scanned the ecm all I got was a stream of failure to read messages and I bet thats because of no power to the ecm.

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
No luck at all with this engine. I cleaned the negative connections to the engine after not getting an earth connection at the alternator. The negative connector on the DCL then worked as it was not before. Running a scan was useless with a steam of failures to connect. That could be because the software would not recognize the port the USB cable was connected to. Instructions do not work with regards to this issue.

Anyway will continue with detailing the boat and try to sell at a huge discount. The trailer alone is worth quite a bit as I have installed disc brakes on both axles. This boat, if working, is priced between $23K and $29k for a 2000 model. So will advertise it at $12k and see what happens.
If nothing happens I will strip stuff of value ,such as the radar system, duo prop outdrive, from the boat and junk the boat and sell the trailer separately.

alldodge

Staff member
With a lot of codes look at the 5V circuit to see if you have exactly 5V. If lower then one of the sensors is bad. Try at looking for gray wire on throttle position or MAP

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
With a lot of codes look at the 5V circuit to see if you have exactly 5V. If lower then one of the sensors is bad. Try at looking for gray wire on throttle position or MAP
Busy bleeding the brakes. Will try that if weather allows.

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
Busy bleeding the brakes. Will try that if weather allows.
Very frustrating in not being able to tell the scan software what port the cable is plugged into on the laptop. I have tried plugging it into all available laptop ports!!! Still no joy.
About to look at MAP sensor wiring. Also will try and solve why the engine will not torn over now when it was before.

alldodge

Staff member
Very frustrating in not being able to tell the scan software what port the cable is plugged into on the laptop. I have tried plugging it into all available laptop ports!!! Still no joy.
About to look at MAP sensor wiring. Also will try and solve why the engine will not torn over now when it was before.
Show pic of your cables

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice

Attachments

• P1040795.JPG
    P1040795.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 10
  • P1040796.JPG
    P1040796.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 9
  • P1040797.JPG
    P1040797.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 8
  • P1040798.JPG
    P1040798.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 8
  • P1040799.JPG
    P1040799.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 6
  • P1040800.JPG
    P1040800.JPG
  • P1040801.JPG
    P1040801.JPG
    5.8 MB · Views: 9
  • P1040802.JPG
    P1040802.JPG
  • P1040803.JPG
    P1040803.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 5

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
The blue tape on one of the splices is where I looked at the splice. No corrosion at all. If there is a particular area of wires you want me to take a picture of I will of course do that.
I did not get any voltage at the MAP sensor socket at all with ignition on.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I think dodge was asking to see the diagnostic cables but I'm wondering how much of the engine wiring harness has had the tape removed and for how long

The pics show at least one burnt wire and one clipped wire. There's some harness connections disabled throughout the gallery as well. Granted they may have been photographed during diagnosis but the harness portions pictured look rough

I recommend removing the entire harness and inspecting/repairing along with the proper wiring diagram. Once the harness is sound you can focus more on components

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
I think dodge was asking to see the diagnostic cables but I'm wondering how much of the engine wiring harness has had the tape removed and for how long

The pics show at least one burnt wire and one clipped wire. There's some harness connections disabled throughout the gallery as well. Granted they may have been photographed during diagnosis but the harness portions pictured look rough

I recommend removing the entire harness and inspecting/repairing along with the proper wiring diagram. Once the harness is sound you can focus more on components
I removed the tape looking for breaks and joins. Where do you see the burnt wire and the clipped wire?

jackra_1

Seaman Apprentice
I removed the tape looking for breaks and joins. Where do you see the burnt wire and the clipped wire?
One thing that does concern me is the fact that the wires going into the two ECM connectors seem quite loose.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Might just be shadows/tape residue but a couple wires looked corrupted

Focus on gaining 12v (+) and ground throughout the harness. Start at the battery and work your way along +/- circuits

alldodge

Staff member
Yes I was wondering about the diagnostic cable
Seeing the boat wiring, also agree there is some problems