2000 merc or 1994 yamaha outboard

NHStriper

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
48
Assuming both outboards are the same price, hours, and run good, which outboard would be a better purchase. A 2000 125hp Mercury ELPTO or a 1994 150hp Yamaha. To be put on a 1996 18' Striper. Any suggestions?
 

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 26, 2007
Messages
23,767
Re: 2000 merc or 1994 yamaha outboard

I'm going to assume the 150 is a V6. That adds some complexity and will slurp down the fuel. My 18' is rated for 150 but for me, the ideal engine would be a 140 4 cyl.
 

NHStriper

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
48
Re: 2000 merc or 1994 yamaha outboard

The 150 is a V6 versus the 125 is a V4. I'm replacing a 115 V4 Johnson. I'm leaning towards the 125 Merc because it's the V4 and will be less of a gas hog than the V6 like you said and because it's 6 years younger, but I've heard good and bad about that type of Merc. It's the one that drops to 2 cylinders during low rpms.

Do you know much about the two types in terms of reliability?
 
Top