2000 Johnson 60HP model J60PLSSE in SLOW mode

lanier2008

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
2
I have a year 2000 60HP Johnson motor that occasionally goes into SLOW mode operation and the problem is becoming more frequent. When I start the motor, it goes thru the alarm check cycle and everything seems to check out OK

I have had a few days that the motor ran fine (5200 RPM) all day but typically I get on the lake and everything runs good for about an hour. Then the RPM suddenly drop to 2500 RPM without any warning lights or alarms. I was told that overheating is the primary cause for this and, to this point, I have replaced the thermostat, water pump and temperature sensor and had the carburators cleaned but the motor still goes into slow mode with no waring. When this occurs, I can hold my hand on the engine and it's not hot.

I have had a few occassions whre I stopped the motor for an hour, restarted, and everthing works OK again.

There have been several occasions where the motor will not exceed 2500 RPM from the time I leave the dock until I return.

There has been one occassion that the motor dropped to SLOW mode for about an hour and then kicked back up to full RPM while I was heading to the dock.

My oil reservoir is full and the motor is using oil. The motor seems to run smooth even when running in SLOW RPM mode

I am a new outbord motor user and sure could use some help with this.

Thanks,
 

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Nov 11, 2005
Messages
51,019
Re: 2000 Johnson 60HP model J60PLSSE in SLOW mode

it sure sounds like a bad sensor, or short in the circuit. you need to reprop to get your wide open rpms, up to around 5800 rpms.
 

lanier2008

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jun 15, 2008
Messages
2
Re: 2000 Johnson 60HP model J60PLSSE in SLOW mode

Does this motor have more than one temp sensor? I have replaced one.
 
Top