2000 Chevy S10 Lemon

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: 2000 Chevy S10 Lemon

Personally, I have to agree with that (foriegn parts cost).<br />The reason I was granted $6200 for a 1994 Toyota Pickup,was it's reported "salvage value". The 4 cylinder,22RE engine allone is worth more than the entire truck on the hoof, even tho that does not compute logically.<br /><br />But as for thier qaulity, they are ALL a game of poker at purchase time, new or used.

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

I have an older Chevy s10....90 or 91 I think.<br /><br />I KNOW you guys wont agree with this....I like cars with things I can work on....you know....carborators....remember those?<br /><br />The older and simpler the better.<br /><br />I had to pay a mechcanic to change the sparkplugs on my wifes 95 blazer....I could not get the darn wires off. The guy ended up going through the fender well or something to get at two of them....And I could see those ones!<br /><br />Give me simple cars and trucks and I'll be happy.<br /><br />My OLD s10 has 158,000 miles and still going strong....Its a little ugly but it drives me 80+ miles a day, every day....I blew the pressure plate at 110,000. It only took a few hours to fix....I'm happy.<br /><br />Derwood.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Amen to that Derwood.. I have an 89 Chevy C1500 and would not give it up for anything else..275,000 miles total 175,000 miles on first engine and trans and 100,000 and counting on the second pair... And I can fix anything on it myself with normal hand tools...And a manual of course..

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Well I must live a charmed life... or maybe I should put a good word in for Australian built Fords. I've always driven fairly new Ford cars, mostly built by Ford Australia, but I'm currently driving an American one. <br /><br />Over the last ten years, the only faults I ever had (if you can call them that) were a battery failure (not Ford's fault) and the Firestone Tires on my American built Explorer (which Ford kindly replaced - and never caused any problems anyway...).<br /><br />I'd better touch wood after saying this... ;)

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

I can't debate that with you iether, Derwood. It's why I miss my little Totota truck so bad. She was a great little truck.Easy on fuel, confortable. It allways hauled my boats wherever I wanted to go, although I babied the tranny by frequent cool-downs on longer trips, and trans fluid change-out every 25K. It never let me down.<br /><br />The only thing in 79K that went south, was the A/C compressor, and then, it was just the clutch (replaced the entire compressor under reccommendation of A/C guy, who made sence).<br />But I'll see one going down the road, and wax nostalgic (SP).

derwood

Chief Petty Officer

Those darn ACs.<br /><br />I don't have a vehical with AC in it.<br /><br />My wife does, but if its my vehical you can bet (and this happens every time) that it will go out before I get to the gas station on route from where I just bought it from.<br /><br />Sweatwood.

DaleT

Chief Petty Officer

Derwood, you must have a six cylinder in there. I had a 91 S-10 with a four banger. In less than 2 years I replaced the head gasket twice, and the motor twice. After the last one blew up I parted the thing out. <br /> <br />On the AC front, I know exactly what you're saying. I've only had one car that the AC ever worked on, for about three months ( in the winter). In my opinion the only good AC is the window crank, only had those fail a few times. If your still hot with the windows down just drive a little faster the wind will keep you cool.