2000 25hp 3cylinder Johnson getting hot.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 2000 25hp 3cylinder Johnson. New thermostat last year and new water pump today . When it's just idling I can only hold my hand on the block for 10sec max. When it's running opened up it's not hot all. Any ideas or should it be getting that hot?

cyclops222

Master Chief Petty Officer
Thermostat or gasket missing ? I once FORGOT to install a thermostat. Stuck open ? Way too cool of a thermostat ?

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thermostat or gasket missing ? I once FORGOT to install a thermostat. Stuck open ? Way too cool of a thermostat ?
I wasn't worried about being in cool. I thought it was too hot trolling. A guy just told me that he's seen them get as hot as 170F and it running around 160F at idle and 185F at the bottom of the block. When it's reved up it's in the low 120sF. That's with muffs on not in the lake.

cyclops222

Master Chief Petty Officer
Do the different rpm / temperature tests in the lake. Those are the only temperatures that count.
Check each sparkplug for a clean look.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I don't have the gun anymore. But by feel it was doing the same thing

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Running on muffs is not ideal IMO for testing.
In the water or a barrel would be better.
If this happened while you were trolling any chance you had a lot of weed in the water that day? May have been a restricted inlet screen.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Running on muffs is not ideal IMO for testing.
In the water or a barrel would be better.
If this happened while you were trolling any chance you had a lot of weed in the water that day? May have been a restricted inlet screen.
No it was clear.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Are those fins on right. The level part towards boat and the part that sticks out a bit towards the prop
20240506_072321.jpg

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm assuming this must be the right tempature seeing how nobody has said anything. Thank you very much.