200 HP 4 stroke susuki

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Hi guys,

My friend called today trying to clear out his motor that he never flushed at the end of the season.

(Salt area)

I told him to run it until the salt away is throughout and then shut it down and walk away for a week.

He asked me how often I should replace the impeller and I told him once every 5 years unless you know you've done something wrong.

He's had a mechanic doing it every 2 years or year or something.

He called me back later saying no water was coming out the telltale and I told him huh, that's kind of weird. As he explained more I found out how he was flushing and I said go get some muffs you want to do it from the gear case. To make a long story short or a short story long he sent me these pictures. I told him that was not the proper way he's not my opinion. This is what I sent him and then his corresponding thing afterwards.

I'm going to send him this link so, read what I sent him, read what he sent me back, look at the pictures, then give me your opinion.

Maybe these big four stroke Suzuki's don't need what I thought it was.

You didn't run it like that did you? Put it on muffs if you don't have any come get one from me. You want a freshwater rinse from the water pump it's on the gear case you need a set of muffs and don't be confused with muff diving that's a whole another sport!!!

I figured it out. Water connection wasn't mustard! All good now! Heading home. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 737487837.jpg
    737487837.jpg
    839.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2484.jpg
    IMG_2484.jpg
    978.1 KB · Views: 12

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Hi guys,

My friend called today trying to clear out his motor that he never flushed at the end of the season.

(Salt area)

I told him to run it until the salt away is throughout and then shut it down and walk away for a week.

He asked me how often I should replace the impeller and I told him once every 5 years unless you know you've done something wrong.

He called me back later saying no water was coming out the telltale and I told him huh, that's kind of weird. As he explained more I found out how he was flushing and I said go get some muffs you want to do it from the gear case. To make a long story short or a short story long he sent me these pictures. I told him that was not the proper way he's not my opinion. This is what I sent him and then his corresponding thing afterwards.

I'm going to send him this link so, read what I sent him, read what he sent me back, look at the pictures, then give me your opinion.

You didn't run it like that did you? Put it on muffs if you don't have any come get one from me. You want a freshwater rinse from the water pump it's on the gear case you need a set of muffs and don't be confused with muff diving that's a whole another sport!!!

I figured it out. Water connection wasn't mustard! All good now! Heading home. Thanks for your help.
By the way....it's a 2008 150 4 stroke.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
Hi guys,

(Salt area)

can you explain a more on what I bolded?

the pic of water hose looks like it is hooked into where fuel line is normally run into motor

saltchuckmatt

Commander
He ment bolted for home.

Didn't send a new picture. I'm assuming it was voice to text through his motorcycle helmet. He's always in a hurry.

Question is is it okay to fresh water Rinse through some fitting or do you want to come up through the water pump.

I don't know Suzuki's but in my opinion you should come up from muffs when rinsing the outboard.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
It’s to new for me to know anything about it but I have heard about these flushing ports.
I would be more comfortable with flushing from the lower. I rarely use muffs I have a big trash can with a ball valve mounted in the bottom to easily drain it. I can run as long as I want with no worries. I’m sure my neighbors appreciate it as well.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
No other opinions?

In my mind, flushing ports are for flushing when motor off, otherwise test tank/barrels or muffs when running.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
running the motor would get the stats to open and get fresh water to more places, just my thoughts