20 pole tach's

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice
I found this seller on ebay and I purchased one of his tachometers and one of his water pressure gauges. They were inexpensive, they arrived within a week, they look and work GREAT! The water pressure gauge even came with about 15ft of tube, plus the nipple coupling needed to insert on the engine (on the thermostat housing in my case.)

Being that I was very impressed with the service and price I figured I would share it with the rest of the Force crowd.

Either go to ebay and simply search 20 pole tachometer, (this is how I found him) or go directly to their website ( www.sporqster.com )

I bought from his ebay listing, but it looks like if you use the website you may save a couple bucks on shipping.

take it or leave it...
NB

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 20 pole tach's

Update on the 20pole ebay tach.

When I posted the last comment I had just installed the tach and tested it at idle with the muffs on. I assumed it worked properly because it was accurate at idle, and, when I rev?d it a bit the readings were smooth and seemingly accurate as well.

Fast forward to 5/20...I finally took my boat out for a prolonged water test. While the boat ran like a champion with 4 guys in it and the water pressure and gas gauges are both working properly, the tach is not. The only accurate reading is at idle. As soon as I put it in gear and throttle up the tach starts climbing exponentially. At wot the tach is pinned on 8000rpms (that?s the maximum reading). So, unless there is a faulty part in the ignition system, this inexpensive tach is simply cheap.

If I pop the tach out of the dash and discover that I have the dial set on the wrong position I will update this thread again. However, with the way I meticulously check and recheck things I highly doubt this will be the case.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or has anyone else purchased this tach? The brand is a SS white diamond

until again?

isnms

Seaman

You might verify they sent you the correct part number:
EDIT: They may have their parts mislabeled. The A may be the 20 Pole. Read the descriptions

https://www.shop.sporqster.com/quickSearch.hg?queryString=tachometer&startIndex=10&endIndex=18

SKU/Part Number: 28-1401-A
TACHOMETER 8000 RPM MARINE 4-6-8-12 POLE
MARINE/AUTOMOTIVE GAUGE New, SS WHITE, DIAMOND DELUXE INSTRUMENT model HG502. Water proof, black background with white markings, stainless steel bezel, scratch-proof glass and 12 volt DC illumination kit. SPECIFICATIONS Tachometer 12 volt electric Range 0-8000 RPM For 4-6-8-12 pole alternators on outboard engines Shpg. 2 lb. RELATED PART & COMPONENTS TACHOMETER 8000 RPM MARINE 4-10-12-20 POLE
SKU/Part Number: 28-1401
TACHOMETER 8000 RPM MARINE 4-10-12-20 POLE
MARINE/AUTOMOTIVE GAUGE New, SS WHITE, DIAMOND DELUXE INSTRUMENT. Water proof, black background with white markings, stainless steel bezel, scratch proof glass and 12 volt DC illumination kit. SPECIFICATIONSTachometer 12 volt electric Range 0-8000 RPM For 4-10-12-20 pole alternators on outboard engines Shpg. 2 lb. RELATED PART & COMPONENTS TACHOMETER 8000 RPM MARINE 4-6-8-12 POLE No 20 POLE listed here

isnms

Seaman

This site seems to confirm that they have their part numbers correct:

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007051703234349&item=28-1401-A&catname=engines
Item# 28-1401-A
Our Price $17.99

MARINE/AUTOMOTIVE GAUGE
New, SS WHITE, DIAMOND DELUXE INSTRUMENT model HG502. Water proof, black background with white markings, stainless steel bezel, scratch-proof glass and 12 volt DC illumination kit. Includes mounting bracket and instructions.

SPECIFICATIONS
•Tachometer
•12 volt electric
•Range 0-8000 RPM
•Mounts in 3-3/8" dia. opening
•For 4-6-8-12 pole alternators on outboard engines
•Shpg. 2 lb.

http://surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=2007051703234349&item=28-1401&catname=engines
Item# 28-1401
Our Price $17.99

MARINE/AUTOMOTIVE GAUGE
New, SS WHITE model HG 502, DIAMOND DELUXE INSTRUMENT. Water proof, black background with white markings, stainless steel bezel, scratch proof glass and 12 volt DC illumination kit. Includes mounting bracket and instructions.

SPECIFICATIONS
•Tachometer
•12 volt electric
•Range 0-8,000 RPM
•Mounts in 3-3/8" dia. opening
•For 4-10-12-20 pole alternators on outboard engines
•Shpg. 2 lb.

And their catalog page:
http://surpluscenter.com/pages/150.pdf

Or they could both be wrong

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice

Good sugestion isnms, that was actually the first thing I did. However, it looks like it was my fault after all :redface:

Somehow during my install I must have turned the selector a little bit because it was on the #3 setting as opposed to the correct #4 setting. Now I know I checked and rechecked, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Well, the Tach is now ready to run and I will test it this weekend.

Also, I should let you know that the customer service was great. I emailed them on Tuesday evening and they responded Wednesday morning. Even though I had already discovered the problem before he replied, he already knew what exactly what my problem was. He said, "it sounds like
the switch is set to 10-pole, not 20 pole. That would cause it to behave
exactly as you're describing. Might want to confirm that the switch is set
properly for your application." He was dead-on!

So again, pending my test this weekend, I may consider calling this a "great deal" once again.

NB

isnms

Seaman

Glad you figured it out. I hope it does work. That's a less expensive 20 pole than the one I got just a couple weeks ago. I went with the Teleflex for ~$55. If I had waited, I could have saved a few.

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice

This is my final say on this $24 SS tach from ebay...

I adjusted the knob and set it to the 20 pole position and......

......It works perfectly!
( not to mention it looks pretty damn good too:D)

However, I may have discovered a problem with my motor.

I will start a new thread.

ck85abc3

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm glad I found this thread. I was going to wait with the tach, water pressure gauge, and voltmeter due to teleflex price. I think I'll order everything right now.

Is the water pressure gauge electric or mechanical?

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice

I think I'll order everything right now.
Hey ck, that's the same thing I said a month ago when I found this deal.

The water pressure gauge is mechanical, and it too works great.

In fact, it came with the nipple to be mounted on the thermostat housing, and about 15ft or so of tubing. All you need for complete installation is a few wire conectors and some hole saws

Also, note that since the gauges are backlit be sure to connect the power source to one of your "key-on" circuits. Otherwise, the lights will stay on and drain your battery. All I did was splice into the wire that is running the lights for my speedo and fuel gauge. Someone else may have a better way.

enjoy!

djohnalyn

Seaman Apprentice

this may seem obvious, but did you make sure you bought the SS white diamond series "pressure gauge" instead of the temp gauge? You can look at the ebay listing and it says that it comes with the installation kit.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WATER-PRESSURE-GAUGE-0-30-PSI_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33677QQihZ002QQitemZ120102101229QQtcZphoto

I would try calling or emailing them. They gave me good service so i imagine they will do the same for you.

Also, how do you like the gauges?

ricksrster

Commander

I bought a SS White tach a couple years ago for a Chrysler. It worked great. I now use it on a Mercury 12 pole. Still works great. SS White instruments are good quality and better price.