2 Stroke Yam 40 HP Enduro.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My boating Club has in current use this motor powering a large and heavy tender. Yesterday when shifting forward or reverse the motor does nothing, could the clutch gone kaput ? The employees that drives this combo when comming near the pier at a slow speed engages reverse to stop the tender. No wonder that with this out of this world procedure have screwed the lower leg.. Thoughts ?

Happy Boating

robert graham

Admiral
Using reverse as a brake to approach a dock seems O.K. To me.....but the engine RPM's at shift would be important to any potential damage to the clutch dogs.....I mostly shift at or very near idle RPM.....say around 750 to 850 RPM's......your operator may have just been " slamming" into gear, both forward and reverse.....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Using reverse as a brake to approach a dock seems O.K. To me.....but the engine RPM's at shift would be important to any potential damage to the clutch dogs.....I mostly shift at or very near idle RPM.....say around 750 to 850 RPM's......your operator may have just been " slamming" into gear, both forward and reverse.....
Thanks Robert...

Other issue, we have a 14 footer catamaran powered with a 4 stroke Yam 20 HP motor, won't gear forward nor reverse, the gear case was found extremely low on oil. Will this account to have a broken clutch as there's no clak sound when gearing both ways ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Driveshaft is likely broken / sheared and in 2 pieces.
If was a gradual lack of shifting issue, have seen what you mentioned, boater going wot and being stopped by a fishing net that got entangeled in his prop. Got a free broken shaft along shaving the upper crankshaft splines, a costly wot run definitely...

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Update :

A good samaritan boater donated all the internal parts which are not brand new but are in excellent working shape. Now the motor is gearing forward/neutral/reverse as it should. Pic speaks for itself.

The Club's boat operator have finally learned the hard way that Yam gear cases works with thick 80-90 oil that must be looked after and changed periodically....

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Yamaha 20 HP-GBox.JPG
    Yamaha 20 HP-GBox.JPG
    211.3 KB · Views: 6