2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke Comparison - With Video

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a new Tohatsu four stroke 9.8hp in mid August to replace my old (but incredibly reliable and easy to work on) '86 Johnson 9.9hp. Now that I've finished the break-in period on the new one I thought I'd put up a couple of videos to show the difference between the two. Both videos were taken on the same boat on the same reservoir under relatively similar conditions.

Here's the Johnson pushing my 12'er in the spring:

http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n326/landscapingwiz808/?action=view&current=HPIM0607.flv

And here's the new Tohatsu pushing her today:

http://s336.photobucket.com/albums/n326/landscapingwiz808/?action=view&current=001-1.flv

Overall the Johnson had much more torque and put the tinny on a plane a little faster, but the Tohatsu is much more quiet and fuel efficient (3/4 to full throttle for 3+ hours - 1.5 gallons!!!). Speed at WOT is 2mph slower with the Tohatsu, but I think that can be corrected with a different prop pitch.

Incidentally, I still have the Johnson. She's spending her retirement at my folks house in Massachusetts, seeing only 3-4 weeks of easy use a year. Even though it's in saltwater the motor get serviced "professionally:rolleyes:" at the end of each summer.

Here are a couple of pictures to show how the 'ol boat looks with the different motors on her.

BOB

HPIM0610.jpg

176.jpg

158.jpg

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke Comparison - With Video

there was a pontoon with a 4 stroke 60 on it, and i was sitting right next to them at dock, i looked over and saw it was peeing water, and asked if it was running. they looked at me like i had two heads. but i did not hear a thing!! they are SILENT

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

there was a pontoon with a 4 stroke 60 on it, and i was sitting right next to them at dock, i looked over and saw it was peeing water, and asked if it was running. they looked at me like i had two heads. but i did not hear a thing!! they are SILENT

Hi pmat1 - I run one of my buddies boats sometimes that has a Honda 60hp on it once, but this is the first 4-stroke that I've owned or had the opportunity to run via tiller. From the factory it fired on the first pull and the loudest sound I heard was the telltale hitting the surface of the water. During the break-in period I noticed it was fairly loud at about mid throttle, just before my boat planes, but that has smoothed out nicely.

Overall I'm thrilled with the motor and question why I waited so long to make the purchase!:)

BOB

QC

Supreme Mariner

Moved to non-repair Outboard.

JRJ

Commander

I won't own another 2-stroke. Nice outfit you have there.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

Nice videos and good info. Thanks for that. What's the weight difference between them? 2 mph ain't bad loss when you factor in more weight. Looks like you scoot along about 17 mph.

QC

Supreme Mariner

Oops, sorry QC & other Mods - I thought I posted in the right area.
Not to worry :) We try and keep the Boating Activities section more about places to go, things to see, destinations etc. No hard and fast rules, and impossible to be 100% consistent, but this discussion is truly an OB horse that needs to be beaten to some level of deader . . . :eek: :D

psinatra

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I just bought a 15hp merc 4stroke and I LOVE it. So much smooth power. I've never had anything idle so smoothly. And the trolling speed is almost silent.

however, I'll never buy another 4 stroke without electric start EVER again.

pmat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Are they harder to start? Never had one so I don't have a clue.

a 2 stroke makes power every 2 strokes of the piston instead of 4. so you need to pull more.

Lion hunter

Lieutenant Commander

pmat that definately makes sense but I'm still curious. my 4 stroke honda mower starts 1 pull and its easier to start than my 9.9 johnson.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

Are they harder to start? Never had one so I don't have a clue.

All I know is that I barely have to pull at all once the motor's primed and since my hearing is pretty bad I have to check to make sure she isn't running before I pull the line again. The only (minor) fault I can point out is the loss in torque during acceleration. The motor is fantastic and I wish I hadn't waited so long to buy it!:D

BOB

Logos

Cadet

We just came back from a vacation where we rented a 9.9 Yamaha 4-stroke.

Great operating motor. Quiet, reliable, etc.

I didn't have to lift it, so I couldn't complain about its bulk, but it was bulky.

The only problem was......the exhaust stinks.

This might not be a problem for some......but my memories of boating are filled with the mild and pleasant smell of 2-stroke exhaust. It's a happy memory.

Imagine my surprise when I encountered the stinking exhaust of this 4-stroke.

Might not be a problem for big motors at higher speeds, but we were fishing and sometimes backtrolling. GAWD, what a stench.

I don't know if Yamahas are worse than others, but I would never buy one of these 4-strokes for a fishing motor.

a70eliminator

Captain

Yea, it's kinda like sitting around a campfire, the smoke seems to follow you wherever you move, I've noticed that too but only on light wind days while trolling.

Landscaping Wiz 808

Chief Petty Officer

YIKES!:eek: I haven't had any smoke or noticed a smokey smell at all. From what I've read here they're not supposed to smoke as they're burning straight gas as opposed to a gas/oil mix. Maybe the Yamaha you rented had an oil leak or something. I'll keep watching (and smelling) mine to see if it starts doing this.

BOB

Logos

Cadet

No, we're not talking smoke, we're talking stinky exhaust.

But.....you may have inspired an idea.

Maybe a smokestack type of exhaust pipe would be the answer.

Maybe dual smokestacks!

:D

a70eliminator

Captain

YIKES!:eek: I haven't had any smoke or noticed a smokey smell at all. From what I've read here they're not supposed to smoke as they're burning straight gas as opposed to a gas/oil mix. Maybe the Yamaha you rented had an oil leak or something. I'll keep watching (and smelling) mine to see if it starts doing this.

BOB
I need to clarify my response, no smoke just exhaust fumes and while trolling with the direction of a light wind, just keep a gasmask handy.
It's like that with any engine, just a different smell with a 4 stroker, I kinda like it.

Logos

Cadet

Yeah, and we sort of quit backtrolling unless we could backtroll WITH a fairly good breeze to send that exhaust elsewhere. It would choke you otherwise.

Never had that problem with a 2-stroke.

coolguy147

Commander

all i like better about 4 strokes is that you dont have keep buying 2 stroke oil while 4 stroke oil chnage can be a hassle but its cheap and like once a year? but the oil solution is solved by the new oil injection from optimax vmax and etec