2 stroke ban?

robert graham

Admiral
Re: 2 stroke ban?

Do I smell a black market for those "Fourstroke" decals that folks could just stick on the sides of their 2 stroke cowlings?....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Do I smell a black market for those "Fourstroke" decals that folks could just stick on the sides of their 2 stroke cowlings?....
Not unless you can disguise the sound difference as well.

Personally, I think its a good thing and I have a two stroke motor myself that I use for my dinghy(now only used in the ocean). For my Tahoe house, the dinghy up there now has a 4 stroke and I enjoy not having to deal with the oil.

1979checkmate

Petty Officer 1st Class

This saddens me... existing 2 strokes should at least be grandfathered in. This is like saying you can only enjoy the sport if you have enough money to go spend 10-20 grand on a new 4 stroke or etec. Boating is supposed to be a sport that everyone can enjoy. I am a college student (mechanical engineering) and i run a boat with a 115 merc tower of power. THere is absolutely NO WAY i could afford putting a 115 etec or 4 stroke on the boat..nor do i want to. Well the etec would be nice but 4 stroke? Yeah and bolt on twice the weight with not as much power... i think not. I love my old 2 stroke, somebody try to find me a new 115 that makes the kind of torque that motor makes.. i dare you.

NYBo

Admiral

I see a rise in the price of used four-strokes and injected two-strokes in the near future. Personally, I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a used 75 HP Evinrude E-TEC (Maximum rating for my hull is 85, and no, I won't go to a 90. See my avatar for the reason.;))

Boating is supposed to be a sport that everyone can enjoy.
Not sure where you got that idea. Some forms of boating are certainly accessible to Everyman. But things will eventually settle out. The price of gas worries me more than having to repower (as long as I can find a proper used motor).