2.5L; What's the best engine oil?

egleas84

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My manual tells me to only use a straight weight but I see some people are throwing in 20w-40 (isn't that multiple viscosity?).

What's the favorite oil among the 2.5/3.0 Mercruiser owners? Is it 4.0 Quarts with the filter?

It's a 1983.

cr2k

Captain
Re: 2.5L; What's the best engine oil?

Do us ALL a favor and do a search and spend the next several months reading the results. There have been so many oil posts on here already.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

My manual tells me to only use a straight weight but I see some people are throwing in 20w-40 (isn't that multiple viscosity?).

What's the favorite oil among the 2.5/3.0 Mercruiser owners? Is it 4.0 Quarts with the filter?

It's a 1983.

If you don't want to use the oil that Merc suggests:
http://www.mercurymarine.com/servic...ntenance/faqs/mercruiser/?category=fuel#MCOil

Whatever makes you happy.

You'll have to forgive me for being flippant.....The "What oil is best" threads number in the thousands. The answer always boils down literally to whatever makes one feel good. They've all been tried successfully.

Just change the oil at least once a year at before winter "layup".

Regards,

Rick

Fordiesel69

Lieutenant Junior Grade

SAE 30
SAE 15w-40 (diesel rated)

Change each year.

Either will be fine. You will never get the perfect answer so use what you like and makes you the happiest. Clean oil within an acceptable viscosity range will be just fine.

Brewman61

Ensign

I stick with what the engine maker specifies- not necessairly brand but spec. I figure they know way more than I do about what is needed.

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

I prefer ...liquid... engine oil as opposed to the solid type. My brothers wifes, ex , boyfriends, neighbor said its the best, but his friends boat blew up with it...:eek::p;):):D

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

I think everybody should use what I use.......I've never had a problem.

It's in my Signature below
lolhit.gif