$2.339 per gallon Regular

D

DJ

Re: $2.339 per gallon Regular

the energy industry is close buddies with the current administration. And the energy idustry is posting record profits under this administration.
Absolute pap, IMHO.<br /><br />The current administration has as much control over the price of crude as I do.<br /><br />The price of crude has been hanging around the mid $50.00/barrel mark for quite a few months. Seeing that it takes a few months for the crude purchased at that price to make it to the pump, it all makes sense. Not to mention, refineries are shutting down, in stages, for maintenance and the switch over to "summer" blends.<br /><br />We have a refinery problem in this country, not a crude problem. We haven't built a new refinery in over twenty years, yet our demand has increased significantly. <br /><br />Don't blame the oil companies, blame the tree huggers.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

bubba W and his saudi oil partners are making a killing, as well as most the rest of the administration. china is doing nothing less than we did in the 50's 60's and 70's. only so far they are not toppling democratically elected governments like we did in the 50's 60's and 70's and installing non-functional puppet governments.<br /> even if they started today drilling on the north slope it will be 10 years or more before we ever saw any oil from it. I would like to see an unbiaesd study of the cost of getting it to the lower48 vs the benifits and the cost to the environment. while I am not a tree hugger that area is the top of the world and shet flows downhill.

D

DJ

bubba W and his saudi oil partners are making a killing, as well as most the rest of the administration.
Unsubstantiated accusations. Maybe the Saudis. As far as "W" and the admin.-prove it.<br /><br />The income of the president is a closely watched figure. He "W" submitted his tax returns. Kerry did not. Makes one wonder-hmmmm?<br /><br />Al Gore made a killing with his Consolidated Oil stocks, while VP. Didn't hear a peep about that one.<br /><br />Let's not let personal bias cloud real debatable world politics.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

Gore is as guilty as the rtest.<br /> however gore and his daddy dont have the close suad ties that W and his daddy have. W got his start in the "earl biddness" with saud noney. its still flowing. Bush seinor and osama bin ladens father are long time "biddness pardners". its a given fact. not blind faith or bashing. I just dont trust it when the fox is gaurding the hen house and the egg production.

rolmops

Vice Admiral

DJ,do try not to act naive. Do you really believe that any of the REAL income of the Bush family ever even makes it to American shores????.They do not like paying taxes any more or less that you or I.The tax returns of people on that sort of income scale really have nothing to do with what they really earn.

D

DJ

I am not naive. But I tend to trust someone that will actually show his personal information rather than someone that hides it. I never could figure out why Clinton wouldn't share his medical records. The only pres. in recent history to hide it. When one takes the public office, one becomes public property.<br /><br />Apperantly, that public ownership DOES NOT apply to the family, unless you are a Republican-right? I see a double standard.<br /><br />As I get older I also have discovered one solid truth. Those that accuse are likely doing exactly the same thing, in spades, that they are making accusations of. It is the oldest trick in the book and is used to deflect the spotlight. Unfortunately, we Americans have been dumbed down to the point that we believe everything that the TV tells us. <br /><br />As far as Bush Sr. and OBL's father being buddies-so what. The father (OBL) is not always responsible for a son that has gone off the deep end. Maybe some of our fathers thought the same thing of us. ;) <br /><br />Let's not forget, not all the oil in the world comes from the Middle East. You said so yourself rodbolt. Venezuela is a big producer, along with Mexico. Who's "W" in bed with there?

D

DJ

If we want to know the REAL truth, I explained it earlier.<br /><br />1. Crude is at the mid $50.00 mark. It takes months for that to hit the pump. Why's it at $50.00+? Because there's a BIG new consumer on the market-CHINA. It's supply and demand.<br /><br />2. Refineries are selectively going down for maintenance and switch over to "summer" blends. BTW, why do we have so many different blends? Blame the EPA.<br /><br />3. We have a capacity issue with refineries. We haven't built a new one in twenty plus years, yet our demand is going up. Again, the EPA and the NIMBY factor.<br /><br />4. Who can tell me how much $/gallon is tax in your area? My guess is about the same number of people that look at the income and FICA withholding on a check stub. Not many.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Fed, state, and local taxes total somewhere in the neighborhood of 48 cents per gallon..<br /><br />And yes, I look at FICA.. I have too.. I pay myself..

D

DJ

snapper,<br /><br />You're correct, the average is about $.48<br /><br />
I have too.. I pay myself..<br />
I'll bet it hurts even more.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

Yea.. Especially the SS.. Gotta send my half, and the businesses half... :eek: 6.2% X 2... Plus medicare... cripe!

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Edit: My initial post forgot that the US is imperial and we're metric. So I've removed it to avoid looking like a total idiot.<br /><br />After allowing for the imperial - metric difference, we're paying about US$3.35 for regular unleaded at current prices.<br /><br />Doesn't change the fact that petrol companies gouge us here too.

NYMINUTE

Captain

ALL POSTS ASIDE: This whole fuel issue is out of control! Is anyone in authority going to step up and DO SOMETHING? :mad:

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

the biggest reason for the price rise is the<br />fact we are processing oil at the max rate.<br />saudis already agreed to raise production, but<br />we don't have the facilities to process any<br />more, so it won't raise supply really.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep its rather funny that the price of crude goes upon monday and the price at the pump goes upon tuesday. the gas that the price went up on had been refined a month ago. during the so called shortage in the late 70's all the storage tanks in martinez CA were full and the tankers sat idly offshore for weeks cause there was no place to unload. yet we had odd and even days and a 10 gallon per vehicle limit and long lines 40 miles away in Vallejo CA. W Or W's admin was in fact behind the cuop attempt in Venezuelain 2002. I told my fiancee that once we secure our middle east oil stand by. we will come after our venezuelan oil then. we have a long history of destabilizing and bankrupting countries that attempt to sell oil else where. can you imagine the panic if president Chavez ceased all oil shipments to the states and redirected them to Cuba and China? its coming.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by rodbolt:<br /> yep its rather funny that the price of crude goes upon monday and the price at the pump goes upon tuesday. the gas that the price went up on had been refined a month ago.
Funny, that happens here too.<br /><br />How amazing!<br /><br />Prices go up before and stay up during long weekends, Easter, Xmas and school holidays when people will be travelling a lot. Then they take a while to go down.<br /><br />Prices go up at weekends for the rest of the year, as well as on paydays and government pension paydays.<br /><br />The oil companies say it's all to do with international oil prices and complex factors beyond the comprehension of ordinary people but they can never explain how the raw oil prices aren't changing when their pump prices are, or why, as rodbolt pointed out, the price on fuel not only already onshore but actually in the tank under the pump has to change immediately there's some noise about raw oil prices changing in one of the markets somewhere else. <br /><br />I guess it's just another miscarriage of justice that some of our (multinational) oil companies have just been given a multi-million dollar fine for running a cartel to jack up pump prices.<br /><br /> http://www.thecourier.com.au/detail...egory=general news&story_id=379444&y=2005&m=3 <br /><br />Or maybe the oil company execs previously worked in banks where any increase in interest rates is immediately tacked onto all loans but not onto interest paid to customers, while all falls in interest rates are immediately applied to customers' accounts but not to loans.<br /><br />I guess I'm just not smart enough to understand the complexities of these markets where commonsense never applies.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

yep, to complex for ordinary citzins. best left to the government to keep an eye out and protect us sheep. I sleep better knowing that I am so well protected.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

a huge help would be a "national" gasoline standard<br />the whole country used instead of refineries being<br />forced to process 50 different kinds of gas.

snapperbait

Vice Admiral

A huge help would be the removal of State and Federal tax on gas... That right there would drop the price 30-35 cents....

wajajaja

Chief Petty Officer

thanks SBN, and the cheapest on the list is NJ AT 1.89, WHERE it is MANDATORY to have your gas pumped for you by a attendent.<br /> my fellow citizens whine about insurance rates though!

brother chris

Commander

Well, here in Canada it is hovering around $1.00/litre. <br />No choice, have to pay it though.