FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I recently purchased a yamaha 25hp 4 stroke motor. The motor has a noise in it and i was told that a 4-stroke should be quiet. My question is could it be the rod bearings. Someone told me that these motors had problems with the rod bearings.
never had an issure with rod bearings.
that motor was a merc design, 2 cylinders with 3 pistons.
the 3rd piston was a balancer nd tended to make noise.
without hearing the noise its hard to say.
does the noise change when you kill a cylinder ?
I have a yamaha 25hp four stroke outboard also and I hear a strange knocking noise from it. I suppose that the source of noise is the harmonic balancer. I was told by the dealer that I need to replace it.