1999 Yamaha 150 - How to pressure test lower unit

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
301
I'm looking at buying a 1999 Yamaha 150 and I want to pressure test the lower unit when I go to look at it. Can someone tell me how to do it?

Thanks for your help!
 

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
1,102
Re: 1999 Yamaha 150 - How to pressure test lower unit

Why? Its not a big deal to reseal the unit. Just check the oil condition. If you are concerned about the condition of the gears, a pressure test is useless. If you want to know the condition, you have to tear it down.....
 

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Mar 15, 2010
Messages
301
Re: 1999 Yamaha 150 - How to pressure test lower unit

That's probably true but I'd like to know what I'm getting myself into before I buy it. And if it leaks, I could use that information when I'm negotiating the price.

So is it possible to do a pressure test with the oil still in it?

Thanks for any help.
 

schematic

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Joined
Jan 12, 2008
Messages
1,102
Re: 1999 Yamaha 150 - How to pressure test lower unit

only a catastrophic leak would show up.
 
Top