1999 Johnson 25hp coil pack questions

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Reason why I'm saying last couple outings been noticing it missing at idle and sometimes a slight miss at half idle just sometimes ...well Sunday I went fishing not far from dock and it was running bad at idle like last couple times but after fishing for 2 hrs headed back to the dock (only 1 mile from fishing spot) maybe 100 yards away it while I was wot it all of a sudden lost a little power but I was still on step going pretty fast then not 30 seconds later it just drop rpms and killed like I would have ran out of gas or it flooding and would not start after trying for 5 minutes ....primer ball was still hard , fuel lines were all connected and vint was open even pumped my manual primer on front of motor to shoot gas into motor and still no start just turning over...so I paddle back to dock ..well today I walked up to it and it started first crank but poor idle so I check spark on both cylinders bottom was very strong (my helper told me while I was cranking) then check the top and he said they had a spark but not as strong as bottom ...so do y'all think the ignition coil going out on the cylinder? Just trying to get advice

AlTn

Commander
if your known good coil < bottom cylinder > will produce a good spark when moved to the top cylinder...most likely that top coil was bad....if the known good coil will produce a no or weak spark on that top cylinder then the power pack is the prime suspect...this assumes that the ignition wire from the top cylinder is good , the wire from the power pack to the top coil is also good and the top coil ground is good

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
need an adjustable spark tester to see what you have -- using one of those?

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No I just unscrewed the plug and plugged it in and out it against the block and I had a guy watch it while I cranked and he said they both had spark but bottom one was brighter....but no telling if it wasn't ground good like the bottom one was

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And I want to note when I was going wot when it slowed down it wasnt that much it just felt like I would have barely let off the trottle then it slowed all the way down and then it started stumbling then died out ...then I cranked it again and it started up then killed right after then it wouldn't start at all almost like it was flooded

58rude

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Most part houses have the cheap little spark testers. It's the only way to know how strong your spark is. Compression will blow out a weak spark easily.

Michael leblanc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Update soaked my carb for 4 days then cleaned each jet out with my torch tip cleaner and blew out all holes with air compressor runs like a champ now thanks for y'all help