1998 Regal 1700 LSR Advice

evanboothe

Cadet
Hello, I am a new member here and I just purchased my first boat.. I am a mechanic for a living, have done tons of rebuilds on other things so I am very (able) to tackle a boat I hope lol. It is going to take some learning, and Im already finding myself learning things the hard way.. I found this fourm and decided to join due to good info I have come across by browsing these threads. Okay enough with the intro...

Again 1998 Refal 1700 LSR, Has the 175 mercury jet engine.. Got the boat home and into my shop come to find the covers were leaking, floor was wet.. Imeditaly started cleanup and putting space heaters inside to dry it out as best I can. My main questions/concerns is obviously how long has it been wet.. and is anything rotted to the point where I need to take action before even attempting to take the boat on water. After further inspection and hitting things lightly with a hammer to listen for tone changes nothing sounds to off. I again might not be going about this properly as to why I am looking for advice. Lastly my 3 main concerns I can physcially see ( The star board around the window area on the right side on the boat has some spidering in the gel coat on the outside around the water line. I pulled back the carpet and do not see anything from the inside that looks cracked or damaged SHOULD I be concered about this?? Next concern is the storage area under the middle of the boat, the gel coat is cracked in the center. The wood is exposed BUT doesnt seem rotted, yes it was wet but does not seem soft.. What should I look into there or watch out for... LAST concern, Behind the engine, where the fuel tank is located, I can see some water between the tank the back side of the engine, there are no drain holes, not sure if it just got in there due to the cover leaking or if the section of the boat there is filled with sitting water.. no real way to access that area to inspect further. I will attach photos as soon as possible. Thank you in advance..

Attachments

• image4 (3).jpeg
    image4 (3).jpeg
    551.9 KB · Views: 16
  • image3 (2).jpeg
    image3 (2).jpeg
    675.3 KB · Views: 24
  • image2 (5).jpeg
    image2 (5).jpeg
    374.3 KB · Views: 11
  • image1 (9).jpeg
    image1 (9).jpeg
    340.2 KB · Views: 10
  • image0 (7).jpeg
    image0 (7).jpeg
    564.3 KB · Views: 10

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
first, welcome aboard.

second, the second pic show some concerning issues as that damage only comes from wet core material that freezes. Wet wood means that is is starting to rot (and will not dry out)

Hammer test means nothing.

I would start planning a hull restoration. 4th sticky down at top of the forum has lots of restoration information

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome

The gel coat cracking appears something may have hit the side. Maybe the boat came into the dock side ways hard

Dry it out and pickup a cheap pin type moisture meter. This will tell you if moisture is inside the wood. The pins need to penetrate thru the glass or paint. Could get the pinless meter but there not as accurate
https://www.homedepot.com/p/General...-Prevention-MM7/309036963#ratings-and-reviews

evanboothe

Cadet
first, welcome aboard.

second, the second pic show some concerning issues as that damage only comes from wet core material that freezes. Wet wood means that is is starting to rot (and will not dry out)

Hammer test means nothing.

I would start planning a hull restoration. 4th sticky down at top of the forum has lots of restoration information
Thank you for your reply.. what can I do or inspect to know if at this point i am even able to go on the water? Can I enjoy it at all before a full hull restoration??

alldodge

Staff member
Thank you for your reply.. what can I do or inspect to know if at this point i am even able to go on the water? Can I enjoy it at all before a full hull restoration??
So long as motor and electrical system has been checked out, go have some fun with it, check it out the hull later

evanboothe

Cadet
IMG_4001.jpg

It appears that under the carpet in the main part of the cabin is fiber glass?? am i wrong?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
So I’m wondering how much of the inside of the boat is wood that could rot?
Your boat uses wood as a core under the fiberglass.

So to answer your question

The transom (with fiberglass on both sides)

The stringers (with fiberglass on all sides)

The motor mounts (withe fiberglass)

The deck (with fiberglass on both sides)

Read this to understand boat construction prior to the 2002-2010 time frame. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1995-sea-ray-220-signature-deck-and-stringer-restoration.495449/

alldodge

Staff member
Looking closer at the image it might just be bad prep. When boat was manufactured they didn't wipe the glass down and it had some crud on it. As with all painting, making sure it's real clean is 75% of the process.

Is that bare wood under the paint or is that fiberglass resin?
image3-2-jpeg.392031

evanboothe

Cadet
Looking closer at the image it might just be bad prep. When boat was manufactured they didn't wipe the glass down and it had some crud on it. As with all painting, making sure it's real clean is 75% of the process.

Is that bare wood under the paint or is that fiberglass resin?
image3-2-jpeg.392031
It is bare wood

evanboothe

Cadet
Your boat uses wood as a core under the fiberglass.

So to answer your question

The transom (with fiberglass on both sides)

The stringers (with fiberglass on all sides)

The motor mounts (withe fiberglass)

The deck (with fiberglass on both sides)

Read this to understand boat construction prior to the 2002-2010 time frame. https://forums.iboats.com/threads/1995-sea-ray-220-signature-deck-and-stringer-restoration.495449/
Thank you, again I’m totally new to boats I wish I could find a picture of one of these model boats taken apart so I could understand the internally better in my head. I searched everywhere and it looks like no one has restored or rebuilt one of these model boats. I know I probably sound like a broken record but what would you do if you just bought this boat? Would you immediately dive into a hull rebuild? Me being me wants to do that because I don’t want it to get worse. And I don’t want to be in a boat knowing things are rotted or not right just because that’s how I am. Thanks for the input

Scott Danforth

Staff member
AD, what you see in the pic is the resin/glass/gel busted out as the wet wood underneath swelled up.

that hunk of wood sits above the keel void. there is most likely water under the wood.

having seen this on many rebuilds, its not a trivial thing.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I wish I could find a picture of one of these model boats taken apart so I could understand the internally better in my head.
see link in post #10. nearly all boats of the 80s and 90s and early 00's are built the same.

alldodge

Staff member
It is bare wood
Manufacture made a cheap boat. Being a ski locker it would always have water in it, so over time the water penetrated. Might get lucky and just replace the wood in the future and seal it up correctly so no more worries.

Right now, use it and enjoy, but know that the longer you wait to find out where all the issues are the more it may need when you get into it. That said, I don't see one season more being catastrophic.

I ripped out a 70's model Chrysler boat which was rotted almost clean thru (another cheap build) and it's back together but would still run ok prior, just a bit of wobble while doing so ;)

evanboothe

Cadet

alldodge

Staff member
The boats not going to just fall apart
Make sure the bilge pump is in good working order, and if it doesn't keep turning on every so often you can more then likely just keep going