1998 Bayliner Capri floor.

todhunter

Canoeist
Just know that for full length stringers, if you have a run that is longer than 96", you're going to have to do a scarf joint, or sister two boards together, or something to get the added length. I built a jig for my router and made scarf joints, copying PC on the Bayou.

TankerDan

Seaman
Just know that for full length stringers, if you have a run that is longer than 96", you're going to have to do a scarf joint, or sister two boards together, or something to get the added length. I built a jig for my router and made scarf joints, copying PC on the Bayou.
After cutting the transom angle into the boards I think I'll have about 1/2" to play with. If not I'll check out what PC on the Bayou did

TankerDan

Seaman
If anyone is reading this that hasn't done this job yet make sure you order the right amount of cabosil. I only ordered 2 1/2 quarts, I think I've read since it take 1 quart of cabosil for 1 quart of poly, any way I'm waiting for 4 gallons to come in now from US composits, I refuse to pay Amazons outrageous price for it

TankerDan

Seaman
I have the transom in and filleted. I measured and the total depth is 1 3/4 inches. I've read it should be 2inch to 2 1/4 inches. So should I add a sheet of 1/4 inch or just build it out with 1708? Thanks

todhunter

Canoeist
Did you measure your old transom thickness before tearing it out? Mine was 1 7/8" thick. I rebuilt my new transom to the same. I figure if there is an issue with the transom assembly bolting on, I can easily add a few layers of 1708 around the keyhole to build it up. I'd just add 1708 instead of adding more wood.

TankerDan

Seaman
Did you measure your old transom thickness before tearing it out? Mine was 1 7/8" thick. I rebuilt my new transom to the same. I figure if there is an issue with the transom assembly bolting on, I can easily add a few layers of 1708 around the keyhole to build it up. I'd just add 1708 instead of adding more wood.
I never gave measuring it first a thought, looking back it was an idiot move on my part. I thought that adding more wood might make it easier, but it might end up to thick. It seems like the 1708 option would give me more control over it

TankerDan

Seaman
When Will I learn? If fiberglass supply's are 5-7 days away why do I wait until I'm out of something before I reorder it?

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
When Will I learn? If fiberglass supply's are 5-7 days away why do I wait until I'm out of something before I reorder it?
Don't worry, you will only do it like 15 more times... Its okay though... the last thing you want to do is get stuck with resin/gelcoat/etc that has a shelf life, and something happens, and next thing you know, you have to throw away a bunch of stuff because life got in the way.

TankerDan

Seaman
I thought I had another container of chopped strand, found out filleting the stringers I didn't so I'm stuck untill next Wednesday when it comes in, I got smart this time and ordered another 5 gallons of poly at the same time. At least its given me time to get the front motor mount rebuilt, I had wanted one more layer of plywood on it but my fingers would have been to close to the blade when cutting it for my comfort. I had noticed when taking it apart that the deck flexed after I cut out the dog house. Because of there being no support under the end because of the fuel line connectors, sender ect. I was going to upgrade to a 5/8 inch deck instead of 1//2 inch. But I spaced and only got 1 sheet of 5/8 instead of 2 and now I can't find anymore locally. I do have a couple sheets of 1/2. Do you think a couple coats of 1708 would strengthen it enough? ThanksIMG_0082.JPGIMG_0081.JPG

TankerDan

Seaman
Don't worry, you will only do it like 15 more times... Its okay though... the last thing you want to do is get stuck with resin/gelcoat/etc that has a shelf life, and something happens, and next thing you know, you have to throw away a bunch of stuff because life got in the way.
but at least if I have leftovers I won't run out

Chris51280

Ensign
most use 1/2". but also depends on stringer and bulkhead spacing. I think 16" span over stringers is the widest you should do without supporting it. 1708 will add alot of weight and cost a pretty penny to do the floor

TankerDan

Seaman
most use 1/2". but also depends on stringer and bulkhead spacing. I think 16" span over stringers is the widest you should do without supporting it. 1708 will add alot of weight and cost a pretty penny to do the floor
My stringers are 23" apart. I'm hoping now to be able to put a support across the stringers but won't know for sure until I set the tank back in and check.

Chris51280

Ensign
I put 5/8 in and put support over the tank area and ski locker. better safe than sorry and dont want to fix my floor again. because its flexing.
On a side note, thickness does not increase rigidity of the floor as much as vertical support. Look at I beams or your house joists. Otherwise your house floor would be really thick with only 2x4s supporting it

TankerDan

Seaman
Great idea, there is no bulkhead under the back end of the floor once I cut the doghouse off it flexed alot and since I plan not to have to glass the doghouse back on I was needing to find a new support.

TankerDan

Seaman
Hi all, another question here. I have one side of a stringer in between 2 bulkheads glassed with 2 layers of 1708. Do you think thats thick enough? Another layer or 2 wouldn't be that big a deal, its just the 1708 seems to drink the poly like a teenager with a keg of beer. Thanks

Mad Props

Lieutenant Commander
Personally, I'd do another layer... 2 might be fine, but you'll never have such easy access again... hopefully...

TankerDan

Seaman
Thanks Mad, your right an insurance layer won't hurt, and I'm most deffinatly not doing this again

TankerDan

Seaman
I'm taking a few days off from glassing the stringers because I've irritated an old back injury and its to painful to be hunched over the stringers. So I was puttering in the garage, cleaning up,ect when I reread the mixing instructions for the poly. Somehow I misread it and have been using only half the activator. I called US Composites, they said since it is hardening I should be ok. Just give it extra time to cure, but wow, the instant panic of thinking I'd have to cut out the now transom and stringers was darn scary. Read the directions twice, don't do a Dan