1998 5.7 GSI Will Not Turn Over

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
627
Hey folks,

I recently installed a longblock in a 98 Chris Craft, that was not properly winterized last year. I tranfered everything over from the cracked block and heads, and had it running on a skid without issue, before I put it back in the boat. Now I go to start it, and it wont turn over. I do however get this really loud clicking noise coming from the starter, like its trying to engage, but won't. I have tried a different battery, and a different starter, and I still get this same noise. It kind of has a ringing sound to it too, almost like someone is hitting the flywheel with a hammer repeatedly.

I'm stumped... Thanks in advance for your help!
 
Last edited:

bruceb58

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
30,824
Re: 1998 5.7 GSI Will Not Turn Over

Can you turn it over by hand? If not, I would pull the drive and try to turn it over.
 

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
627
Re: 1998 5.7 GSI Will Not Turn Over

No problem turning it by hand. I pulled all the spark plugs just to be sure, and I can spin it easily with a wrench on the crank.

A jumper wire between # 30 and # 87 on the relay harness, produces the same results, so I don't think there is anything wrong with the relay itself.
 
Last edited:

bruceb58

Honorary Supreme Mariner
Joined
Mar 5, 2006
Messages
30,824
Re: 1998 5.7 GSI Will Not Turn Over

I would check all your terminals ,including ground connection at the block, to make sure they are tight and clean.
 

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Thread starter
Joined
Jan 1, 2009
Messages
627
Re: 1998 5.7 GSI Will Not Turn Over

Found the problem... The ground wire going to the block was losse... Thought I had it tight enough, but apparently not... :)

Thanks!
 
Last edited:
Top