1997 Mirrocraft 18' aluminum fish n ski

BWR1953

Admiral
Well, I've started the process of removing the XR6 from the donor boat. Got a little done yesterday morning, then got everything disconnected from the engine except one stubborn cable on the dual steering setup. Ugh. :rolleyes:

My buddy is supposed to come over this evening to have a look.

BWR1953

Admiral
In addition to the XR6 stuff, we pulled the existing Minn Kota 42 lb. trolling motor off the MC, tested it and then set it aside for possible sale.

The plan is to swap the MotorGuide 67 lb. unit from the donor to the MC. However, the MG unit is only a 40" shaft, while the MK is 48 inches. I'll have to do some more research on this one.

1.jpg

Minn Kota 48 inches long, 42 lb thrust.
4.jpg

MotorGuide 67 inches long, 67 lbs. thrust
2.jpg

3.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
My buddy stopped by and was here and gone in 5 minutes. :sneaky:

It's amazing how fast you can get the cables out when you use an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel! :ROFLMAO:
4.jpg

5.jpg

The last item I have to deal with before I can pull the engine is this little line/tube/wire. I'm guessing it's the water tube for the speedo. It comes up from inside the lower unit and over the clamp and then into the boat. What say y'all?
7.JPG

6.JPG

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
You can extend the shift. I have a 60 inch in my garage to swap for the 42 inch. Lots of videos on it.

Gibbles

Commander
I bet its like a mercruiser.
There should be a little hole in the forward facing edge of the lower unit.
Probably a quick disconnect for that hose too.

That forward facing hole likes to get plugged up with crud, a little drill bit by hand should be enough to clear it out if it won't pass air.

BWR1953

Admiral
I cut the tube this morning and it's just a water hose for the speedo, as I'd suspected.

Got the engine and jack plate off a little while ago. Pix to follow! 😁

BWR1953

Admiral
Pix as promised. Getting the engine off was routine and relatively painless. :cool:

1.jpg

The Hi-Jacker manual jack plate. I may replace it with a hydraulic or electric unit later. I'll use the manual unit for awhile and see how it goes.
2.jpg

3.jpg

That transom was wrecked. I sent the pic to the PO this afternoon and he said that on his final trip, that he had to run the bilge pump every 5 minutes. :LOL:
4.jpg

The bolt pattern on the MC is BIA standard, so the jack plate and engine will bolt right up. Nothing is mounted yet, we just hung the jack plates on for the pix.
5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
We got the donor completely stripped today. It goes to the dump tomorrow.

2.jpg

The steering wheel was in the way, so it was hacked.
3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

9.jpg

We siphoned the fuel out using the existing lines & bulb.
10.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
Guys, I'm back!

I've had a very busy and productive week, all of it boat stuff. 😁

This week I stripped stuff, sold stuff, removed stuff, added stuff and trashed stuff! 😅

Here's a little video showing how the week went.

BWR1953

Admiral
Here's the MC sitting over at my buddy's place, awaiting final trailer adjustment to fit the boat. Hopefully it'll get done soon.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

BWR1953

Admiral
Been doing still more boat stuff. Keeping busy! :cool:

After swapping the trailers, I put the old rusty one up for sale, along with the Minn Kota trolling motor that came with the MC. They sold fast! I guess I should have asked for more money! :LOL:

This morning I gave away the 32 gallon fuel tank that came from the donor boat. Man, that thing wasn't listed for 2 minutes before it was gone. o_O

This evening I used the proceeds from the trailer and TM sale to buy another Power Pole Micro to add to the MC. The pair should work out well.

Still waiting for my buddy to do the welding stuff on the trailer. Once that's done I'll mount the engine, then return the boat to him to rig for me. After the engine is rigged, I'll mount the Micro's and figure out how to install the seats.

Progress ongoing... 😁

BWR1953

Admiral
Ya know what's weird? I've had this boat for 3 months now and I really haven't spent any time with it, other than working on the project stuff.

I haven't even cleaned the inside since I purchased the thing. Odd. :unsure:

This afternoon I went over and climbed into the helm seat for the first time in order to check out the steering wheel setup. I was seeing if I needed a tilt wheel as a replacement. Nope.

I didn't even have time to sit and make Vroom-vroom noises! 😄

Today I did order a new steering system for it, but it'll take over a week for everything to arrive. Delays, delays. :confused:

Once my buddy finishes the trailer fitment, I'll bring it back home and we'll install the jackplate, engine and throttle. Then we'll return it to him for rigging the steering and engine.

Gibbles

Commander
I never cleaned anything in the islander until I started ripping the carpet out. :ROFLMAO:

Gibbles

Commander
Actually, I'm wrong, I did clean the hull and the vinyl.
never mind! :sneaky:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Ya know what's weird? I've had this boat for 3 months now and I really haven't spent any time with it, other than working on the project stuff.

I haven't even cleaned the inside since I purchased the thing. Odd. :unsure:

This afternoon I went over and climbed into the helm seat for the first time in order to check out the steering wheel setup. I was seeing if I needed a tilt wheel as a replacement. Nope.

I didn't even have time to sit and make Vroom-vroom noises! 😄

Today I did order a new steering system for it, but it'll take over a week for everything to arrive. Delays, delays. :confused:

Once my buddy finishes the trailer fitment, I'll bring it back home and we'll install the jackplate, engine and throttle. Then we'll return it to him for rigging the steering and engine.
When a boat owner does not have time to sit at the helm and make motor noises, they have some serious issues !! Get help quickly, a couple good vroom..vrooms can make anyone feel better !!

BWR1953

Admiral
When a boat owner does not have time to sit at the helm and make motor noises, they have some serious issues !! Get help quickly, a couple good vroom..vrooms can make anyone feel better !!
I know, right? So sad. 🤪