1997 75hp Charging problem

jcole563

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 9, 2006
Messages
1
I have a 1997 force 75hp 2stroke motor. I have had to replace the starter on it recently and now the charging unit has stopped working. I have checked all the fuses On the boat and it still doesnt charge. I have heard of stators under the flywheel but I dont think that they are damaged. Does any one know any thing that could possibly help me out I would appreciate it greatly thanks. My email is Jcole563@gmail.com
 

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Oct 30, 2002
Messages
21,961
Re: 1997 75hp Charging problem

If the stator had failed, the motor would not run.

Chances are pretty good that the rectifier/regulator has gone bad, or been shorted out.

If the battery cables are reversed - even for a second - it will burn out the diodes inside the rectifier.

The same goes for running the motor without being connected to a battery.

Mercury is charging about $135 for one, don't know if there is an aftermarket alternative for that motor.
 
Top