1996 Sea Ray 210 Signature Bowrider fishing refit

tblevins1

Recruit
Look for advice on my bowrider. I've owned this boat over 10 years and have mostly used it for tubing in nearby lakes. We recently purchased a place at the beach and would like to transition it to more of a fishing boat. The engine sits in the middle back of the boat and is covered completely from side to side like a big rectangle box with a bench seat in front. This makes it tough to put pole holders in the side and very difficult to get to the back of the boat (have to climb up on top of the engine cover). Was thinking about reducing the engine cover to more of a square box type which would allow placing jump type seats in the corners (and moving them out of the way when fishing).

Has anyone done such a project or have any recommendations?

TB

Last edited:

tblevins1

Recruit
looks like this...the top opens up...on each side of the engine is open space.

Attachments

• photo332658.jpg
    photo332658.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here is my suggestion.

what I did with my searay 190 (similar to your 210), was use a 2x10 board mounted across the engine hatch and mounted with two J-hooks to each of the two aft cleats. this board had a cleat mounted on each end (to not loose the functionality when docking) and a row of rod holders for walleye and salmon fishing.

I also mounted a shorter 2x6 board across the bow and attached to the front rails with a pair of rod holders on each end.

on the swim platform we tied the 150 quart cooler with ice for the fish.

that gives you a fishing rig when you want to fish, and maintain the sun deck the wife and kids like when you are not fishing

or sell what you have and buy what you want in a fishing rig which would not have carpet, or soft surfaces that get stained from blood as well as be more open than a twin-cockpit bow-rider

not sure if you have had your seats out, however there is a significant difference in the layout of the small engine cover and the jump seats your thinking of and the large bench and sun pad you have....... and you would have a bunch of fabrication to do as well as holes to patch to convert unless you can find the fiberglass bits, then you just have new upholstery and a bunch of holes to deal with

not many were sold with the small jump seats compared to the full sun-pad

https://owners-resources.searayweb.com/model-archive-files/1C1_27_74DERNRXS842.pdf

has your dash mounted ice chest come loose yet?

tblevins1

Recruit
Thanks for the info...i was wondering if there was a way i could fit something to the existing setup. I've already recarpeted the floor and most of the sides. Also, the wood on the 2 front cushions, side front cushions, the back 2 seat cushions plus the back/front part of the engine compartment. That was 3 years ago. The boat didn't have the dash cooler when i got it. So was the 2x10 even with the rear cleats? How hard was it to get to the poles? my plan is to mostly troll.

TB