1996 Horizon 220 5.0Fi raw water pump issues.

RobRoller

Cadet
Got the new muffs with heavy metal spring and dual inlet for hose. Hooked it up after verifying the pump does pump water in a 5 gallon bucket back into the bucket. Fired up the boat with the garden hose on and i am still not seeing any water movement...So then I tilted the outdrive all the way up and tried it again (normally I don't like starting the engine with the outdrive up but wanted to see if it helped any and low and behold the raw water pump primed and was pumping like crazy almost immediately after I squeezed on the muffs to keep water from shooting out the sides but once it was primed I didnt have to hold them. When I tilted the out drive down and tried it again I noticed it was drawing air into the pump (could see with clear tubing on it). I checked round the outdrive saw slow drip develop from where the hose connects to the fitting that goes through the gear case. I am now thinking either the plastic fitting is cracked or the o-ring I put on it to seal to the case was too small which allows for ir to get drawn in there which my also be why the system is hard to prime.boat drip1.png

alldodge

Staff member
I don't think its the pump
Think either the hoses are on wrong or there is a restriction

RobRoller

Cadet
So I finally got the boat working well. Ended up being the wrong impeller for my year. only off by 10 thousandths of an inch. Boat stays at 160 all day long.

CapRedbeard

Seaman Apprentice
Glad you got things sorted out. From my limited experience, water pumps are very ticklish when trying to re-prime them. I fought this with a worn out pump on my 3.0gs a few months ago:

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
If the pic of the impeller also has the front pully it looks like the rotation is backwards. pump and pully rotate clockwise for a standard rotation engine