1996 Four Winns Sundowner with 5.0 Cobra engine and drive

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
In order for that system to work the radio must be compatible with it and also you have to have a GPS unit that provides your location. Also there is a number you have to apply for through the Coast Guard that is the identifier of your boat .
Now you can get newer radios that come with built in GPS, that's what I'd do when I have to replace the one I have. Hooking these up is a bit tricky because each manufacturer uses different color wires it seems. I have a small Garmin GPS/Sounder and a Standard Horizon VHF. And also a portable Standard Horizon with built in GPS.

Lpgc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't read through the info my friend sent me yet. The radio shows GPS on screen but I left it turned on for an hour and it only read 999.999.999, are we saying the GPS function won't read my location on screen unless I get it set up so it can transmit my coordinates to the coast guard? I could do that but I currently don't have a radio license, thought I could get away not having a licence because its not a criminal offence and the coastguard would respond to my distress signal whether I have a licence or not. I could live without the sets GPS signal, my phone can show that and I know the coastguard can triangulate my position. I know I should have a licence but it seems a bit of a hoop to jump through and although not expensive seems an unnecessary expense. My ex Ofcom friend disagrees lol but he had licenses for just about every type of radio provided to him free by Ofcom.

Today I removed the top thermostat housing containg the thermostat, did look like there was some debris and maybe a bit of silicone holding the stat open. Removed the stat and cleaned it up, also cleaned and flushed out the housing. Refitted the stat just using the rubber O ring witouut any silicone sealant on it (previously used some sealant under the stat and on the O ring as per Michael Rommer YouTube advice). Made a gasket from gaset paper and refitted it. Then used some oxalic acid to clean up rust marks on the swim platfrom and tide marks from the side of the boat.. Wow this stuff really works well! Completely removed rust stains from where I'd left bolts on the platform over winter and cleaned up the sides of the boat. Next time I use it I'll mix it with wallpaper paste and leave it on the sides of the boat longer. Soon learned not to get oxalic acid on the galvanised trailer.. kept rinsing the trailer with the hose pipe.

Horigan

Chief Petty Officer
Older radios typically receive GPS data via a NMEA 0183 cable (or NMEA 2000 for newer radios) with data coming from a GPS antennae. The function is to enable the distress button to transmit your coordinates.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the radio it does have the panic button so if it doesn’t have integrated GPS you’d have to connect it to a unit.