1996 Carbed 175 HP Evinrude V6 fuel question

kencraft69

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
10
I purchased this boat at the beginning of this year with the motor above. I took it out a total of 6-7 time and burned about 60 gallons of fuel. My real question is this, the guy i bought it from has always used premium fuel. I know that this engine can use 87 octane but since he has always used 90 i though i should keep using it. For those who know, should i be able to use 87 without any issues? I know they say that using the higher octanes cause more carbon buildup, so i don't know what to do. thanks for the help.
 

Benny1963

Lieutenant
Joined
Sep 17, 2006
Messages
1,476
Re: 1996 Carbed 175 HP Evinrude V6 fuel question

87 octane works just as well ,no need for the 93 .
have run 87 /89/93/ and 104.
no big difference ,but im running a crossflow with compression at 105.
if ya had high comp setup you could probaly gain a little from the boost in octane ,the trick is tuneing nd setup.and fresh fuel and filter
 

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 20, 2001
Messages
17,355
Re: 1996 Carbed 175 HP Evinrude V6 fuel question

If all else fails read the manual.

The manual says 87 octane
 

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Feb 4, 2001
Messages
16,978
Re: 1996 Carbed 175 HP Evinrude V6 fuel question

87 is all that's required if the motor is stock.
 

kencraft69

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Nov 19, 2008
Messages
10
Re: 1996 Carbed 175 HP Evinrude V6 fuel question

I would have read the manual if i would have been given it. This is basically why i was asking the question. My main concern is just that the fuel will not make a difference in the engine if i take and use the 87. Thanks for your responses.
 
Top