1995 Mercury 40hp 2 stroke- It Cranks, Has Spark & fuel. Won't start!

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
I was working on the Side Control Box hooking up some gauges, Could I have hooked up something wrong Or something else? Seams like with all 3 crank, spark & fuel it should fire up.
I'm Perplexed! Thanks Guys and Gals. Happy Safe New Year to All.

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
How did it run for you last season ?
I was working on the Side Control Box hooking up some gauges, Could I have hooked up something wrong Or something else? Seams like with all 3 crank, spark & fuel it should fire up.
I'm Perplexed! Thanks Guys and Gals. Happy Safe New Year to All.
Thank you guys for the input! As stated I was adding some new gauges and ended up rewiring the whole thing because the old wiring was Not color coded. So i couldn't follow them. At any rate some how I must have cross wired some thing wrong. So after unhooking everything but the side remote and motor it fired up! amazing. Guess I know more about Harleys than WaHoo boats & Mercury outboards. color me Humble.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you have spark, compression, and fuel. the only thing missing is timing.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
As above. I’d just ask that the fuel is absolutely known to be good and fresh.
I should know better, but I recently bought myself an old Yamaha 2hp 2 stroke as a non runner. Always wanted one for some reason.
Guy told me the fuel was 2/3 months old tops. I foolishly took this as the fuel not being the issue and went from there. Had the thing in bits…went over all the usual things. Carb, plug, spark. Even had the flywheel off to get into the points and condenser/capacitor. Cleaned all that up. Still didn’t run.
Just before getting fed up…I ditched the fuel and put some fresh stuff in…just for the hell of it…..
She fired up second pull !!

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
As above. I’d just ask that the fuel is absolutely known to be good and fresh.
I should know better, but I recently bought myself an old Yamaha 2hp 2 stroke as a non runner. Always wanted one for some reason.
Guy told me the fuel was 2/3 months old tops. I foolishly took this as the fuel not being the issue and went from there. Had the thing in bits…went over all the usual things. Carb, plug, spark. Even had the flywheel off to get into the points and condenser/capacitor. Cleaned all that up. Still didn’t run.
Just before getting fed up…I ditched the fuel and put some fresh stuff in…just for the hell of it…..
She fired up second pull !!
True. I should have done that from the Git-Go, especially after I replaced the main filter and found this from the old filter! Arg. Now how do you go about cleaning the installed fuel tank?

Attachments

• IMG_20231213_112836661.jpg
    IMG_20231213_112836661.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 6

airshot

Rear Admiral
True. I should have done that from the Git-Go, especially after I replaced the main filter and found this from the old filter! Arg. Now how do you go about cleaning the installed fuel tank?
Get yourself a fuel rated pump and some hose, pump it out. Add some fresh and take the boat for a ride down bumpy roads and railroad tracks, then take it home and pump it out again. After a couple/ few times it will be clear. Add a good fuel filter inline and fill with fresh gas. Your gonna waste a number of gallons of fuel but much cheaper than an engine rebuild.

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
Get yourself a fuel rated pump and some hose, pump it out. Add some fresh and take the boat for a ride down bumpy roads and railroad tracks, then take it home and pump it out again. After a couple/ few times it will be clear. Add a good fuel filter inline and fill with fresh gas. Your gonna waste a number of gallons of fuel but much cheaper than an engine rebuild.
Thanks again for the help. I will try ya'lls advise and put that as #1. Airshot, Should I loosen my Trailer Hitch when traveling down the Busy RR traxs lol.

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
Drain the fuel from the tank

Pull sender and visually inspect tank

If the tank needs cleaning, let us know

Go thru the carb(s)
Thank You Mr. Scott. I'm in the process of that now. Surprisingly when I pulled the large fuel/water separator (oil filter looking) it was crystal clear fuel. However going to continue with y'alls recommended tips. Thank you Sir and all others with their help. This forum is excellent! And the timely response is amazing. Again thank you all.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Thank You Mr. Scott. I'm in the process of that now. Surprisingly when I pulled the large fuel/water separator (oil filter looking) it was crystal clear fuel. However going to continue with y'alls recommended tips. Thank you Sir and all others with their help. This forum is excellent! And the timely response is amazing. Again thank you all.
Are you sure that crystal clear " fuel" isn't water ?? Been there done that, mine had so much water it would not burn !!

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
Are you sure that crystal clear " fuel" isn't water ?? Been there done that, mine had so much water it would not burn !!
Yes I believe it was. Didn't see any separation. But makes no difference still going with the flushing etc.

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
And Now for another hurdle. New Starter & Bendix will Not spin the Flywheel, even with the plugs out! Bendix locks in like it's supposed to but won't return off the flywheel like everything is seized, But Over Night??

airshot

Rear Admiral
And Now for another hurdle. New Starter & Bendix will Not spin the Flywheel, even with the plugs out! Bendix locks in like it's supposed to but won't return off the flywheel like everything is seized, But Over Night??
Can you turn it over with a pull start rope ? If you had enough water in the fuel, it could gave rusted and siezed, but overnight ?? If you can turn it over by hand then the starter is bad or the battery is low.

Hogs Kuiper

Cadet
Can you turn it over with a pull start rope ? If you had enough water in the fuel, it could gave rusted and siezed, but overnight ?? If you can turn it over by hand then the starter is bad or the battery is low.
New Battery. But Flywheel will Not Move! I have the Fly cover off but didn't have a 15/16" Socket. So tomorrow I'll pick that up. If It won't turn then it's a bad thing. Also just put a brand new starter & Bendix Gear. Anything there after could cause a Melt down and overindulgence of Adult Libations . Again, Thanks Much Airshot. Oh ya got New Battery cables coming tomorrow, they were pretty green.