1995 Fourwinns - Shift Assist Module

synapes

Cadet
Hello everyone,

long story short, I need to purchase a new distributor for my OMC cobra for a ford 302 engine
the old Prestolite has had better days, so I called up Mallory and they gave me this number 9-26301. the origonal distributor is electronic.
Here is the link - http://catalog.mallorymarine.com/Pr...ry2ID/568/Level/2/productid/6082/Default.aspx

Now that said I called a couple places and they said this will not work if you have Shift Assist Module? I don't know if I have this module in my boat? where would I see this module if in fact is in my boat.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: 1995 Fourwinns - Shift Assist Module

What is the full model number for your engine, all the numbers and letters. Being a 95, you may or may not have the ESA.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

What is the full model number for your engine, all the numbers and letters. Being a 95, you may or may not have the ESA.

Looking through the BRP parts area, http://epc.brp.com , It looks like ALL the drives for 94 and 95 were cone clutch drives.

It appears that the last dog-clutch drives (requiring an ESA) were depleted in the 93 model year...........I guess they were trying to "use up" all the dog-clutch drives while also offering the "cones" on some models.....

Don S

That's why I asked what his model number was. Saves me a lot of time comparing things from year to year.

synapes

Cadet

Hi Don and HT32BSX115,

The info you are looking for.

Engine Serial # TO1283215
Model 502APHUE

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Don S

Model 502APHUE

That model does not have an ESA unit. You have the Volvo SX style outdrive (Good for you :D )

That distributor should work fine.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Hi Don and HT32BSX115,

The info you are looking for.

Engine Serial # TO1283215
Model 502APHUE

Thanks for your help,

Steve

Depending on what the "new" dist costs, you might be able to get yours "rebuilt"

Most auto electric shops can easily "re-bush" a distributor and if the module is ok, all you might need is a cap and rotor. (the module appears to be unavailable though from some suppliers)

Regards,

Rick

synapes

Cadet

Hi Don and Rick,

I went through 2 modules already, have a brand new one in the box that I will sell
off, you are correct it was really hard to find this module and they are not cheap $175.00 each.

I can get the complete distributor for $363.00 and I will not have to worry about parts being not available.

little piece of mind.

Their is one other thing I need some help with, when I picked up the boat from the shop they had all the
wires off the plugs, that said would you have the firing order for the engine to the distributor.

Thanks for all your help with this,

Steve