1995 Force 120HP - Water Temp Gauge

prawln

Cadet
Hey Guys,

I'm new on here and to the boating scene and come all the way from New Zealand :) I've done some searching on here and on google but can't seem to find a solid answer.

I've recently brought a 1995 Bayliner 1702LS with 120hp Force on it. I've just installed new gauges into the boat which includes a water temp gauge. I looked at a wireing diagram and it showed the TAN wire being for the water temp. After following the wires back to the engine theres two tan wires, one that goes to a sensor on the Cylinder head? and one that is just unplugged. I understand the one on the cylinder head is the one for the warning buzzer but can this also be used for the temp gauge? or is the one thats unplugged used for the temp gauge?

If it's the one thats not plugged in where is a good place to mount a temp sensor? My first thought was put a T piece in the telltale but then figured thats to cool and wouldn't give a reading properly.

Sorry if this has been covered or sounds stupid, Hard to get help over here in NZ!

Thanks in advance!

Hayden

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 1995 Force 120HP - Water Temp Gauge

T-fitting on the port at the top of the block where fitting for the telltale is usually where most folks put the temperature sending unit. Be aware that most 2-stroke outboards including the Force run cooler than a four stroke automotive engine. I ran into a bit of a problem when I first installed a temp. gauge. The lowest reading on my gauge was 38? C (100?F) with a max reading of 130?C (260?F). I found that most of the time, my motor ran at about 55?C (130?F). Bottom line was the needle on my gauge barely moved from cold motor to normal running temp. I finally found a gauge that had a scale that went from 15?C (60?F) to 105? (220?F). Now my needle moves to almost half scale. Much easier to read.

prawln

Cadet

Cheers mate! Just to confirm that I have the right location I've taken a picture of where I think you mean is this correct?

20120725_224736.jpg

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Thanks for the photo. I didn't realize that you have the telltale fitting on the thermostat cover. Actually I was referring to the the white plastic plug just above the thermostat housing at the top of the engine block. Trying to remember but I'm pretty sure it's a 1/8 X 27 pipe plug thread. The sending unit for my gauge screwed right into it. Had to run two wires from the sending unit back up to the dash where I mounted my gauge. Depending on what type of gauge/sending unit you have you may only have to run 1 wire, or use an existing unused wire in your wiring harness.

prawln

Cadet

Cheers mate I think my gauge is just one wire which will make it easy. Dang just had a look at the White plug and it looks like someone snapped the top off. Stink! Guess I'll have to try drill out

Jiggz

Captain

Wow, a telltale on top of the T-stat! With still the plug available you can now use it for the temp sensor gauge.

rhedayi

Cadet

Wow, a telltale on top of the T-stat! With still the plug available you can now use it for the temp sensor gauge.
which plug are you referring to jiggz?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your post is added to a 12 year old post.
Start a new one??

Look on top of the head. Should be a screw/plug on top.

rhedayi

Cadet
Your post is added to a 12 year old post.
Start a new one??

Look on top of the head. Should be a screw/plug on top.
Hi Jerry, thank you for telling me the location. I figured no need to start a new thread to clarify a post in this one since others will search for similar answers. I find these old posts pretty helpful.