1995 40 HP trigger removal?

Hello folks,
I am trying to remove and replace the trigger on my 95' Mercury 40HP 4 cylinder 2 stroke but there is some kind of plate in the way and I cannot figure out how to remove it? My Seloc manual has no such reference to this part so I am stumped for now. Any help would be appreciated, parts should be here in a day or two.
Thanks, Mike

Attachments

• 20230529_205523.jpg
    20230529_205523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 4
OK, well that's embarrassing. Can I use a puller (I have several), or do I need a factory tool of some sort? Will probably be the only one I ever pull off.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You can use a strongback and 2 of the threaded holes.-----Did you mark the flywheel to get it back together the same way.

I did not mark the flywheel, I did not know I wasn't pulling the whole piece off (oops). I have only removed flywheels from smaller outboards before so this one threw me off.

airshot

Rear Admiral
That is why no one recomends the aftermarket manuals!
Factory service manuals often give the tips and tricks to make the job easier...If I buy something new, I order the manual, but if used, I often find a used factory manual on Ebay.. No idea why the type went bold !!

Since I removed the flywheel from the hub without marking it, how do put it back on and make sure I don't have any issues with it? Is it a timing thing I need to be concerned with?
Thanks.