1994 Johnson 115hp, V-4 engine questions

Softball60

Cadet
Hello to all,

Just acquired a 1990 Sport Craft, 16ft. Center console fishing boat. It came with a 1994 Johnson 2 cycle, V4 engine. Has not run in over a year. I am resurrecting this boat for my son in law & grandson…..LOVE FISHING …….here in Florida.

This is my first boat & project ever as my hobby is English Sports cars.
………..NOT FAMILIAR WITH 2 CYCLE V4 oil/gas engines……

Have some questions and am hoping this group can help me out.

1. Where to hook up small dia. hose for water pressure gauge. Gauge busted up and the small hose is not hooked up to anything. Are there any diagrams available?

2. Where and how would you connect up for an oil pressure gauge…Runs on gas/Oil mix…..Is there an oil sump of sorts.

3. Is water temp vs water pressure a better approach…is so …where to connect?

3. Are there any free down loads or views available for this boat or motor.

have more questions but will start with the above

Thanks

Softball60

racerone

Supreme Mariner
No oil pressure gauge needed..----Is there an oil tank in the boat ?----If not then likely the system has been bypassed.-----Do not spend any time or beer tokens until you do a compression test.----Post the numbers here.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Water temp and fuel/oil level/pressure are audible alarms produced at the control box assuming they are working correctly. Better than visual because you should be looking at the water when running.

What is the HP and does it have a tach? If so post a picture.

Water pressure gauge is a fitting located on the head but your tell tale does the same thing.

Softball60

Cadet
Water temp and fuel/oil level/pressure are audible alarms produced at the control box assuming they are working correctly. Better than visual because you should be looking at the water when running.

Water pressure gauge is a fitting located on the head but your tell tale does the same thing.
There are gauges, fuel, amp, water pressure, tach and
No oil pressure gauge needed..----Is there an oil tank in the boat ?----If not then likely the system has been bypassed.-----Do not spend any time or beer tokens until you do a compression test.----Post the numbers here.

Softball60

Cadet
The boat came with gauges that I am replacing. Amp, water pressure, water temp, tachometer, trim and fuel. They look bad so I am replacing all. In looking at the engine I see the hose for water pressure but it is not hooked up. I see a shiny bolt on the head maybe 2-2 1/2” long. The bolt has some ….looks like dry salt water crystal powder on it. Is it possible that this is the port and someone removed the proper fitting and plugged it with the bolt. If not can someone tell me exactly where I should install the fitting.

I don’t know what a tell tale is? and I want gauges, so I can monitor the engine.
I would Rather see what’s going instead of waiting to here an alarm…..possibly to late.

Is there a fitting for water temp on the engine.

Soon as I get a picture of the tach I will post it.

Thanks

softball60/paul

saltchuckmatt

Commander
I was wondering if it has a system tach that will show visual alarms to. Tell tale is the pee tube, that tells you the water pump is working but it doesn't tell you if your overheating just like the water pressure gauge either. If your t-stat is hung up or you have internal plugs your pressure gauge will say it's fine but your motor can still overheat.

There is multiple ports on the head, the ones with wires coming off each head is the temp sending unit and the other one should be like a barbed fittings.

Pictures of everything will help.

Since the motor is new to you and has sat, you will need to go all through it.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
By the way, motor doesn't come with the pressure sending port for the head, it comes in a kit with the pressure gauge. Your right, someone probably removed it.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Just looked up your engine, part 13 says it's mounted on the exhaust cover. Look for a small 90 there.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230109-154938.png
    Screenshot_20230109-154938.png
    264.2 KB · Views: 4

Softball60

Cadet
Straight in the back between the heads, big bubble cover.
I found where the tell tale originates from in the back of the engine. There is another bolt basically in the middle of the chamber below the tell tale. Is this where possibly the pressure fitting can be placed and pressure hose connected (not a lot of space to get to) that leads up to the gauge. I am attaching a couple of photos. Bottom bolt possible water pressure location to add fitting. the other is a question….is this part of the trim circuit?

thanks

paul

Attachments

• C41B66AA-886B-42A2-86C2-972350304CAB.jpeg
    C41B66AA-886B-42A2-86C2-972350304CAB.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
  • 2D814416-6AC9-42B0-8F96-283BCA101DD4.jpeg
    2D814416-6AC9-42B0-8F96-283BCA101DD4.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 9

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Rusty bolt is one of 3 that holds an assembly with 2 thermostats and 2 poppit valves.----Important parts of the cooling circuit.---And absolutely not the spot for a pressure gauge !!------I suggest that you post compression test results.-----These motors are nearly world famous for broken piston rings.-----Yes , those are the trim relays.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Hard for some folks to accept that they need to do a complete evaluation before spending beer tokens.-----No need for fancy gauges ( lipstick ) on what might be a pig !

Softball60

Cadet
Hard for some folks to accept that they need to do a complete evaluation before spending beer tokens.-----No need for fancy gauges ( lipstick ) on what might be a pig !
I Am not planning on fancy gauges!
It’s been sitting for over a year while this person was taking care of his father who has now passed away. The engine turns over and has good compression.

I personally jumped it over and it sounded strong. He is a friend of a friend and I am taking him at his word. I will do a compression check in the near future….Right now I am trying to learn as much about outboard engines as possible. I am asking a lot of question so that when I do start on the engine I will hopefully have a good idea of what to do.

I read where an individual moved the tell tale to the top of the exhaust manifold. There is a bolt there (is this location just under the tilt control box).

by moving to the top he was able to use the bottom location of the tell tale for the water pressure fitting.
As I mentioned on my first post after joining this forum….I have never worked on a boat or boat engine! I am a beginner
PLEASE CLUE ME IN TO WHERE THE TOP OF THE MANIFOLD LOCATION MIGHT BE.

Thanks for the help
Softball60/Paul

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Moving the tell tale to the top of the engine was on certain 3 cylinder motors. ---Does not apply to your motor !!----Post #10 shows how a factory pressure gauge would be installed.

saltchuckmatt

Commander
Well I'm assuming this is your motor now. So, being a 30 year old motor and not knowing the hours on it, here is what I recommend.

Clean up all the wiring on the motor. Do a complete compression check before going any further. If that's checks out, do a complete fuel system cleanout and replace any maintenance parts. (Fuel filter, etc)

At that point start the motor and see how it runs if it does run. Make sure your getting water out the pee hole. Check to see if motor is staying cool with an ir gun on the heads. Ir guns are fairly cheap at say harbor freight.

If all that checks out then you have still plenty to do. Gauges will be last.

You seem to be starting backwards on evaluating this motor.

Softball60

Cadet
Well I'm assuming this is your motor now. So, being a 30 year old motor and not knowing the hours on it, here is what I recommend.

Clean up all the wiring on the motor. Do a complete compression check before going any further. If that's checks out, do a complete fuel system cleanout and replace any maintenance parts. (Fuel filter, etc)

At that point start the motor and see how it runs if it does run. Make sure your getting water out the pee hole. Check to see if motor is staying cool with an ir gun on the heads. Ir guns are fairly cheap at say harbor freight.

If all that checks out then you have still plenty to do. Gauges will be last.

You seem to be starting backwards on evaluating this motor.
That is the plan when I start on the engine. As I stated earlier I am just asking questions to get a better understanding of the motor. I have been focusing on the boat itself and have completely tore it apart. About 80% complete on the center console which I removed from the boat. Have completely fiberglassed in all holes and scratches. It is ready for Gel Coat.
Completed making a new fiberglass cover for the floor pan opening. Made sure the bilge pump works and drained all the gas and redid the fuel level mechanicals. Soon I will start on the engine…….Just gathering information at this point…….

Thanks

Softball60#