1994 225hp johnson water output pulsating / intermittent stream

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
HI,
The water pump was just changed on a 1994 225hp johnson and while running with muffs and garden hose, the output appears to be a bit jumpy or pulsating. Its my friends boat, we took it off again to check the waterpump and everything looks correct.

However, the water tubes end got beat up a bit and im wondering if that connection from the watertube to the tapered grommet in the housing could be the cause.

Could that be the cause, if so what can he done about it? A sealant perhaps?

Or, is it possible this is normal? We removed the teltale hose all together to make sure it isn't old/clogged. It shoots out with pretty decent pressure in to the air, it just seems to pulsate or hickup, inconsistent stream/pressure. It almost seems to be in sync with the sound of the putting of he motor.

I cant really say how steady it was before the waterpump change, I have run it with him before and we both remember a pretty solid stream...we think

Thanks for any input. The motor currently does not have a temp guage or a water pressure gauge

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Yes the key is in and all o rings and grommets are as the repair manual says. It does spit water from the teltale decently it just looks to me as if there is an air leak or obstruction because its not a 100% solid stream

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Nothing intermittent about it. Mine shoots a good solid stream out the telltale maybe 4 feet. If I remember correctly, 8 or so PSI at idle

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Is the hood on if it is make sure the pee line is not getting pinched anywhere.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Yes we removed the pee line all together and it shoots directly out of the elbow a good 6+feet up in to the air, the pressure looks good by eye however it still seems hickupy in its peeing.

If the watertube is banged up where it enters the waterpump would that cause it? watertube is not perfectly round.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
If the watertube is banged up where it enters the waterpump would that cause it? watertube is not perfectly round.
I forgot to install the the water tube gasket one time. The only effect I noticed was more water than normal pouring out of the lower unit and a couple of PSI pressure drop.

Guessing you don't have a water pressure gauge on the boat.

ctswf

Chief Petty Officer
Correct there is no water pressure gauge, or temp gauge. I guess he really needs that.

Could thermostats be any possible cause?

w2much

Lieutenant
Had this issue the other day on a smaller outboard but the symptoms were the same.You need to round or fix your water tube. Also be certain that the grommet from pump outlet to water tube is not pinched or pushed in in any way..so make certain that tube is rounded apply grease to the grommet when putting the lu back in place.I think you are allowing air to be sucked up the tube thus giving what appears to be intermiittent flow. I submerge my lower unit in a tub water, pump a few inches below the water line, attach a drill to the drive shaft run it to see the water pump flow before installing. This eliminates the pump end of the problem.

w2much

Lieutenant
Also you can pull the thermostats and run the motor. It sprays water all over but you can at least check your flow.

w2much

Lieutenant
Another funky check is to use a small fire hose nozzle and some tubing . Make the tubing fit by whatever works to the nozzle and the water tube that comes off the water pump.up into the engine. Turn on the garden hose and watch. If you can recirculate the water add some vinegar or salt away.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Bringing up an old post on purpose. I was reading g old posts to see if someone had this issue.

I replaced everything in this new to my 1998 60hp evinrude. Now it does just as you describe. Key was in correct, so was impellor, vanes going right way, my tube was not beat up and went into the pump housing. And I get the weird stream. I assume it's sucking air just not sure ware . Never had this problem before on other motors I have done. I pulled ot down and about to put it back on, nothing looked amiss. Heads are not hot after 10 mins of idle.
The motor is new to me and I did the pump because of a weak but steady stream. Impellor was old and trashed from what looked like dry starts with melted rubber in the housing from impellor. Not coming apart but looked like it was dry run.

Will post back my results hopefully tonight of the second attempt?