1994 115 Johnson Timing Verification

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alright, could use a little help as the Seloc manual I bought is crap. Now I know. I recently had help tinkering my motor and someone messed with some adjustment screws. Now I want to verify my timing is still on. I believe that my motor has the fast start ignition system. Also understand that there are a few methods that can be used from what I've read. Can someone here guide me through it? The carbs still appear to be in synchronization so I just need to set reset the timing. I have read that you can set the WOT with it off by pulling plugs and putting throttle Wide open and cranking the motor open. Can someone just elaborate on the idle timing and wot timing. Thanks in advance

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Model # of your motor ?-----In short " idle timing " is the point where throttle plates open up.------Where the timing is when engine is idling smooth does NOT MATTER.-----So be careful if you decide engine problems are timing related.------And a sheared flywheel key does throw out the timing.----And before you ask you can NOT DETERMINE that the key is sheared with a timing light.----What other trouble shooting has been done ?----Compression tested?----If not , do that for future reference and post numbers here.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Only the 60° and 90°motors have Faststart...your should be a crossflow if year is correct. As posted need model number..

Fishjustin87

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Model# J115TLARC. It came down to a lack of knowledge of outboard when I first started messing with it. Right now it runs great but I want to be sure when the adjustments were made it didnt mess up the timing. At this point its verification of the Timing that in worried about. I know I've read that most of the time the timing should never get off unless someone messes with the adjustments. Compression is 115 to 122 PSI on all four. All within a few PSI of each other.