1993 Johnson 30hp no Start Condition

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys,

I've got a '93 30hp Johnson here that will not fire. It's got good spark, compression's good for both cylinders @ 135psi. But even opening the throttle wide open & spraying starting fluid directly into the carb it will still not even so much as sputter.

Any thoughts?

Regards,

JDusza

Ensign
Well, .... I've come across this under a couple conditions, first, are you certain spark is good? Did you check it with an air gap spark tester?
Then, it could be timing. Are you certain the woodruff key under the flywheel is present and not sheared off?
Then there's water in the cylinder. That'll kill everything that's trying to happen. You would see a lot of moisture on the spark plug if this were the case.
p.s., don't use starting fluid. its burn is much too hot. use premixed fuel from a squirt bottle / oil can
J

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Will the spark jump a 7/16" open air gap on a tester ??

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah, it jumps the gap on the spark tester. I've heard that on the starting fluid, but at this point I'm looking for any sort of ignition. So far it's looking like the signs are pointing to the timing being off.

Last edited:

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Also, I just buzzed off the nut on the flywheel to get a look at the key and it looks like it's in place. Nothing spun there...

Nates78ski

Seaman Apprentice
Also, I just buzzed off the nut on the flywheel to get a look at the key and it looks like it's in place. Nothing spun there...