1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

hayfarmer

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
5
1993 Force 120 elt, Serial number 0E019###

The power trim pump motor quit working. So, I bought an after market motor that has a shorter fluid well and what apears to be a much faster spinning motor. I put it on and filled the resevoir with SAE30 fluid. The fluid that was in the old unit was golden. I pushed the up switch and the motor went up and it worked. Put the motor all the way down and all the way back up. The pump made some popping noises and now the pump motor spins and the motor will not go down. I made sure the shaft was still in place from the motor to the aluminum pump. I could not find a relief screw on my pump base. I loosed a line to get the motor back down on the travel bracket. I torn the whole unit apart and when I removed the aluminum pump from the pump base I lost the small ball bearing. Any ideas of the size of the ball bearing or where I can find a complete pump, motor and housing to replace my unit? Are just the aluminum pumps available? My fear is that the old aluminum pump is stripped from using the faster RPM motor.
 

hayfarmer

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
5
Re: 1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

Update: Tore the aluminum pump apart again and found the small ball bearing in the base in the hole that the larger bolt screws into. Explains why I could not find it on the ground. Put everything back together and the motor goes up great and holds pressure. The motor still will not come back down. Any ideas of where I can get a pump or complete unit? Up until the pump motor gave out, the unit worked flawlessly every weekend. If no parts are available, is there a replacement system that can be put on this?
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: 1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

do you have the same pump as pictured and discussed in this thread?

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=433763


if so, then your pump is fixable. the only thing you could have done that might have ruined it is gotten a ball bearing sucked into and jammed inside a passageway.
 

hayfarmer

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
5
Re: 1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

RRit,

The pump does look like this with a minor exception. The brass fittings sticking out of this pump are not on my pump. My lines screw up into the pump base. THe pump base is the female end and the lines have the male screw parts. When I pull the resevoir off, there is a round aluminum valve pump mounted to the pump base. I replace the old motor housing with a new aftermarket motor and the thing went up and down a couple of times and then went up and stuck. It appears to go up with great strength and stays up. Just no down. I have taken the two pieces of aluminum apart and I do not believe I have lost anything. Is there hope yet??? Everyone is telling me this part is no longer available.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: 1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

the part is not available but it never breaks. Just put it back together exactly the way it came apart and it should work.
 

hayfarmer

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 5, 2005
Messages
5
Re: 1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

RRitt,

I now agree, that part never breaks. I took it apart one more time, blew air through the passages and used the original housing and motor and it all worked!!! Now, I am back to my original problem. The motor will not always start up. That is why I bought the aftermarket pump. Here is the one I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...0293260745&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWNX:IT So, can I have my current motor rebuilt? Should I try to take it apart and clean it?? Thank you for your time. I have read a lot of your posts and your information is greatly appreciated.
 

RRitt

Captain
Joined
Mar 30, 2006
Messages
3,319
Re: 1993 Force 120 Power Trim Pump

intermittent operation on a 1993 is usually relays. relays are dirt cheap. all you need is "bosch style" 12v auto relay. i think actual battery voltage in a car is 13.5? no matter, they sell them as 12V. These things are made by the millions and used in everything from burglar alarms to stereos. you could try a local car stereo shop, ebay, or amazon.
 
Top