1993 Evinrude 60hp

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
So I was given a 93 bass tracker two years ago this month. First year it ran great like a champ, thus last summer however I was making a run up the white river and at one point we were idling and the current pushed the boat into a rock. Middle of the boat it didn’t damage anything but it hit just hard enough to jolt us. After that we beached to go eat lunch and when we came back and fired it up it started out of the hole shot like always got up on plain range at 5500 rpm’s and was cruising then it just bogged down to 4500 rpm’s. I could kill the motor and it’d start right up. Then if I let it sit for a bit it’d run wot great and then bog again.

We loaded it up and went back to campsite. We then took it to the lake to run it and let me do some diagnostics. Didn’t have another issue the rest of that trip. Got home and took it out on our local lake and it ran great for three days then bam happened again it bogged down. 5500 rpm’s at 35 mph then it’d just drop to 4500 and 24 mph and surge every once in a while.

I got home pulled the plugs and they looked fine. Compression checked out at 115 on all three cylinders +\- 1 or 2 psi (two were dead nuts on). Spark is jumping gap perfectly and coils checked out perfectly within spec.

So the next step was checking my fuel it didn’t have water in it and I notice the vro pump was acting goofy this winter we deleted the vro pump and went premix (the person that gifted me the boat didn’t really maintain it and the alarms are all removed). I went ahead and pulled the tank and completely cleaned it out and put new fuel lines on everything. At this point The only fuel thing I haven’t gotten to are cleaning the carbs (it idles rough and at 1,000 can’t get it to idle at anything less I’m using the reeves method of balancing my carbs). I’m hoping it’s not my Powerpack or anything like that because I’ve never been great at setting ignition timing.

Is there anything else I can do during diagnosis? All of my ohm and voltages seem to be in spec. And I’m using the adapter for my voltage meter. I’ve attached the pic of my model number.

Attachments

• 7F298550-D0C2-4F7D-B2ED-A2A858F0CFD3.jpeg
    7F298550-D0C2-4F7D-B2ED-A2A858F0CFD3.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 3

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
Edit: I should note I took it out today for the first time since I did all the work and it ran great half the time then it would bog down. I could sometimes cut the wheel and it’d get back up and other times it would just cruise at 4500. Pumping the primer bulb doesn’t help fix the situation and hitting the choke didn’t help either.

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
You need to do tests while it running poorly. Cylinder drop test, spark check.

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
You need to do tests while it running poorly. Cylinder drop test, spark check.
Well I may be on hold for getting it back on the water. Found lower gear oil in the garage floor. Looks like I’m dropping the lower and replacing the seals. Oil still looks good when I check at the fill and drain. going to go ahead and replace the impeller and seals while I’m in there.

tphoyt

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Are you certain it’s gear oil and not unburned fuel and oil from a cylinder that’s cutting out?
Just a thought

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
100% gear oil it has that very distinct smell of lower unit oil. Rebuilt rear ends using the same type of oil for 10 years Very very distinct smell and texture.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
You should pump the primer bulb when she slows down. If that fixes the issue you have some sore of fuel restriction or a weak fuel pump.

Did you replace the VRO pump with anything?

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
I replaced with a standard pump for premix per the part number Racerone gave me a while back and the one a local marine mechanic recommended. As I said in the edit to the post, pumping the primer bulb doesn’t change anything with the condition.

When I get done replacing my water pump impeller and lower unit seals I’m gonna go out with my father in law and he’s going to drive it while I check for a cylinder drop.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Recheck compression today.----Does hose for tell tale come off the side of the block or the top ?-----Install the lates water pump kit 432955.-----Comes with instructions.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There was a service bulletin in 1994 to move the telltale.-----So nearly 30 years ago.----I did not think there were any left that never had a proper service done at a dealer !-----The sudden bogging would be concern to me.-----Should not be hard to figure out the issue.-----Linkages loose maybe ?----I can not see your motor so hard to pinpoint from 1000 miles away.

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
Yeah that’s my concern is I’m almost certain routine maintenance was never done on this. I did get a bit of background on the motor last night. The guy that owned it before me had had it in a marine shop for a similar running issue and the tech pulled a CDI off of a salvage unit and it cleared up the problem.

I know it was running fine until I got sideways and bumped into the rock while at an idle it was very shortly after that the issue started up.

I haven’t cleaned the carbs yet and my linkages seem tight and in good shape. Hoping it’s just a clogged jet or something as it idles pretty rough and I can’t get it to idle below 1200 rpm’s.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
So it won't idle below 1200RPM and bogs above 4500RPM?

Idle above 1200RPM would indicate some timing or throttle linkage issue.

Bog above 4500RPM would indicate a fuel delivery issue.

Bad running after bumping a rock would indicate a possible (possible) electrical issue, or more likely is a red herring.

Gee, clean the carbs and perform a link and synch. Inspect the wiring harness for any pinched wires.

Flyhog85

Seaman Apprentice
So it won't idle below 1200RPM and bogs above 4500RPM?

Idle above 1200RPM would indicate some timing or throttle linkage issue.

Bog above 4500RPM would indicate a fuel delivery issue.

Bad running after bumping a rock would indicate a possible (possible) electrical issue, or more likely is a red herring.

Gee, clean the carbs and perform a link and synch. Inspect the wiring harness for any pinched wires.
Yep waiting on parts for the carb clean, then replacing water pump and gear case seals. The bumping of the rock hit mid hull and did just enough to rock the boat. I had a TON of debris in the tank so I pulled the tank and cleaned it and am waiting on parts to clean the carbs.

The idling I can get it to idle at 1000 on the muffs now and in the water it’s even better at idling. And the bogging is intermittent it’ll run like a scalded dog one second then drop from 5500 to 4500 for a few then back up or it’ll hang out at 4500.

I believe I’ve got a lower unit seal leaking as I have gear oil coming from this weep hole. Like I said almost no routine maintenance done on this joker. I was a transmission and rear end mechanic for 8 years so I’ve got the technical no how it just chasing ghosts that has me frustrated.

Attachments

• ABF56E29-36AF-42B0-B1AC-6EBECCA76499.jpeg
    ABF56E29-36AF-42B0-B1AC-6EBECCA76499.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 7358583D-B43D-4BA6-B5B8-83B76396F389.jpeg
    7358583D-B43D-4BA6-B5B8-83B76396F389.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4