1992 Sunbird Corsair 205 SL - Complete Gutting and Resto - Pics and Video

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1992 Sunbird Corsair 205 SL - Complete Gutting and Resto - Pics and Video

First views of the transom. Yup, It's rotten. Oh ... Joy...

P1070083_zps6d439eb8.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P1070093_zps338c9899.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P1070094_zpsd1814393.jpg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Just a little at a time....
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P1070103_zps057ceb4e.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WHAT.....A.....MESS.....
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
P1070106_zpsc361ae6a.jpg

You can really see the dust accumulating now!
P1070107_zps17561d18.jpg

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

P1070108_zpse83f2004.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grinding, endless grinding....:facepalm:
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P1070110_zps1b6f5d2e.jpg

And that's it for now. I can't wait to dive back in and make some headway. I want my boat for Summer!!!

GT1000000

Rear Admiral

Thanks for spending most of the night giving us an awesome update along with some really good tips, tricks and pointers...

I especially like the cut up socks for Pre-filters and wrist booties...

At this rate it won't be long before you are in put back mode...

Keep on having fun!:D

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Very nice work so far. Those Sunbirds sure are crap! but they're pretty crap and this one will be really sharp once you've got it all back together and build better than new. Good luck with the rest of it.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for spending most of the night giving us an awesome update along with some really good tips, tricks and pointers...

I especially like the cut up socks for Pre-filters and wrist booties...

You're welcome and thanks for the words of encouragement.

Necessity was the mother of invention in the case of the sock pre-filters. :D

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

Is that the hole in the hull in post #21? If so I'd cover it up so it doesn't become bigger by accident! Nice start and I like the attention to safety along with the inovaative tip's. Keep on keepin on!

Matstang

Cadet

Man, I wish I would have though of the filters on the fans and make shift tent. Thats the best idea ever!!!! I did mine right outside the garage and still have a ton of dust in it. Looks good, I look forward to seeing more pointers from you.

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is that the hole in the hull in post #21? If so I'd cover it up so it doesn't become bigger by accident! Nice start and I like the attention to safety along with the inovaative tip's. Keep on keepin on!

Yes, that's the hole all right. Surprisingly, the glass was laid pretty thick, it just wasn't finished with care. It's pretty hard for me to rip it any further as I cut away the really bad stuff. For now, I'm taking advantage of it for getting trash and dust out of the work area. I just put a bucket under the hole and sweep everything into it. Easy!

mrdjflores

Lieutenant Junior Grade

great looking work so far...keep at it

dna8085

Seaman

Great progress!

SnowmanPA

Cadet

Nice work. Any updates?

I stumbled upon this thread because I'm researching Sunbirds. I found one for sale and I'm wondering if they are any good?

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Since the original poster has returned from "Deployment" (Thank you for your service ;))I am sure this project will be re-activated. It is on the "radar" to be added to the completed project section when done

Bob
Ret Army

SpitAndDirt

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since the original poster has returned from "Deployment" (Thank you for your service ;))I am sure this project will be re-activated. It is on the "radar" to be added to the completed project section when done

Bob
Ret Army

Nope, still deployed for the next two months...... :facepalm: So close!

Bob, from one service member to another, you are welcome. Now let's just get everyone home in one piece and hopefully my next deployment won't be to Iraq or anywhere else in the Middle East......but let's not get me started on that issue.

2014 is pretty much a complete bust. Though at least I can say that when I get back to the states, I will certainly be spending much of my R&R time working on the boat. It's been on hold for too long! My plan is to have it splashed by at least the 4th of July 2015, though I would be overjoyed to have it ready by Memorial Day.

The things I've had to put on the backburner......it's a good thing that getting the boat splashed for next year is high on the "Honey Do" list! :D The soon-to-be-Admiral loves the water as much as me and can't wait for me to get back up to speed with the restoration!

Last edited:

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
It has been a heck of a summer for me too.....I have my Sidewinder project in my yard upside down. I had all good intentions of finishing the bottom however, life happens. It is on the back burner till Spring. Hmmm soon to be Admiral sounds great.

Get home safe!

bnward

Recruit
Nice job SpitAndDirt, big project. I just bought a 1992 Corsair 185 from the second owner 4.3L V6. Looks to be in good shape (my first boat lots to learn). I was going to PM you but did not find the option, do you have that 1992 Brochure in PDF form or could you photo it and send it for a price? Only one I have found is from Sunbird in 1994. Thanks for your service. Bob

Broaters

Petty Officer 2nd Class
congrats on the engine run.
been there last summer after a complete rebuild and I have to admit that this sound is really cool to hear.

good luck with the complete boat restoration, I'll follow your progress.

cheers

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This thread has been dead just short of 4 years and has not been updated in that time.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.