1992 Evinrude 30 HP instrumentation

Tigerguy

Cadet
I have a 1992 Evinrude 30hp electric start motor installed on a 1958 Lonestar Nassau. The wiring harness at the control box forks off to a warning buzzer with light purple, gray and black wires (not currently functioning), and another set of three wires (dark purple, black, and faded cream) that are not currently connected to anything. I'd like to add some instrumentation so I have some idea how the motor is operating and maybe add a GPS speedometer to the gauge cluster. Any idea what information is being sent from the motor? Can a gauge be added to read these signals? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo323558.jpg
    photo323558.jpg
    582.1 KB · Views: 0

Tigerguy

Cadet
Thank you for your response. After a little more research (https://maxrules.com/fixomcwiringcodes.php), it appears the three unconnected wires include a tan temp sensing wire for a warning buzzer/horn that is missing. I'm new to boating...can a temp sensor be connected directly instead of a warning buzzer?

The black connector/plug with the gray (tach sensor)/purple (ign) and black (ground) wires are for a tach. I'll need to find a three-pin connector to connect to a tach. Something like this.

https://www.boatpropellerwarehouse....artach-tachometer-flush-mount-digital-plug-in

Let me know if I misinterpreted the internet. Thanks again!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Does your motor have a tiller or a remote. If it is a remote the harness you have pictured is for the tach and plugs into the controller. You should have a warning horn in the controller if you have a temp sender in the head then it is wired in.

juno pierrat

Petty Officer 1st Class
temp sensor on tan wire is just switch, normally open, closed when over heating, connect to horn/buzzer and ground wire, maybe one built in to factory controls

Kplusten

Cadet
Here's the Faria tach I installed for '91 Evinrude 25 HP on 16 foot Alumacraft jon boat. Easy hookup as flyingscott pointed out the harness is accessible just below the ignition key. Bought aftermarket three wire harness, tach, and mounting cup. Installed watertight on top of side console for readability. I set tach switch at 5P for 10 pulse system. My buddies laugh and say it reminds them of a getto retro hotrod from the 60's when we were in high school, but it tells me what my idle, best cruise, and WOT rpms are, which is what I wanted. Be sure your overheat buzzer is connected in the console and functional, saved my bacon one time long ago.

Attachments

• photo323738.jpg
    photo323738.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 0