1992 Crownline 196br stringers, transom and the whole bit

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
As for my project.....glue in carpet is cheaper, and pretty easy to install. You need special backed carpet that is cut and bound for snap in. After that you have to drill holes on the floor for the snaps. I store my boat in a garage, so very easy to dry carpet for me. After much consideration, glue down in certain areas was the way to go for my boat.

That makes sense. I'm just surprised there is not a way to epoxy the snaps on or something.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thank you all for the good input. I have 2 gallons of gel coat... well 2.5 gallons if you count the half gallon I still have from last year. I just did a test piece and it still worked as it did when I painted the bilge area so I will be using that under my seats. Anyways, I'm probably only going to do one coat of gel coat with the wax in it and then I will be gluing the carpet down. I am thinking one coat would be fine. LOL it better be fine... My seats are being upholstered by a friend of mine, I am out of money and am hoping to have it completely done by next weekend.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, so here are some updated pictures. Some I am proud of... others I'm not so much lol.

Here I have the holes drilled out for the wakeboard tower. I have 3/4 inch ply glued to the back of the hull, then a stainless plate on the back of it.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here are my front walls. You can see cutouts for the cup holders and speaker cutouts in the walls. They will have 5.25" kickers mounted in them. They will be recessed so you should never bump the grills.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is my heavy bench. I'm sure I could have made it lighter but considering it came out great!! I don't think I will mind the weight since the boat will be used mainly for tubing, wake boarding and cruising, I don't think it will be too big of a deal.
You can also see in the front of the boat where they had the tub. It was just like that and sitting on top of the carpet of the main floor trapping in moisture. I decided not to use it in my new build.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here I have glued all the bench sections, kick panels and the front wall. Yesterday and the day before I spent fairing everything out and tabbing it to the floor.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So far, I'm pretty unhappy with the cooler, which is the teal box you see in front of the motor. I read somewhere that if you paint latex paint on the foam, you can glass over it...:facepalm: They were wrong. So instead I remembered I had some epoxy resin from when I was waterproofing my seats a few years back and tested it out on a scrap piece and it worked great... So I coated all the foam with epoxy but am going to use poly and 1.5 csm to really encapsulate the foam in there. The poly won't stick to the epoxy well but it will to the wood, so I'm not concerned with it separating I'm just trying to make a water tight container. I also drilled out a 1.5" hole in one of the boards and stuck a stainless steel thru hull water outlet. I will be hooking up a water pump to pump out all the water from the cooler and out one of the spare thru hull water outlets I already had on the boat. That means, no water in the bilge and easy cleanup in the cooler.

The thing I'm not happy with is where the poly ate away some of the foam, I'm filling it in with thickened resin so it will look a bit cleaner in there. I am then going to gel coat the cooler and for added protection from water I purchased some liquid flex seal to put over the gel coat.

steely85

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I made a new dash for the passenger seat since the new one was where the back of the chaise lounge is now. I will have to post pictures of it later but it came out PERFECT!!! I installed two usb chargers in the back of the "glove box" so there will be no cables dangling everywhere.
I also glued two 2x12's to the floor to use as battery tray mount and trim pump mount.

Last edited: