1992 Chriscraft 252 Crowne Prop Help

mike_runella

Cadet
Good evening

Well did some hunting around in these forums, and feel like I am the only one that owns this boat.
1992 Chris Craft 252 Crowne
5.7 liter 350 OMC with King Cobra out drive.
Boat weighs 5800 lbs

Took the new toy out one time and then prop was stolen off of it. I know it had a four blade stainless steel on it. My top speed was just under 27mph, does his sound bout right? 1/2 tank gas, 20 gallons of water and just me.

Dealer/Mechanic is telling me a 4 blade should never of been on there in the first place.

Thoughts? Ideas? Does any one own this same boat and have something that works for them?

Any help or ideas, would much appreciated.

image.jpg

image.jpg

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 Chriscraft 252 Crowne Prop Help

Welcome,
What was your wot rpm at 27? Look on the outdrive for the gear ratio.
Is the speed by gps?
A 4 blade may have been totally appropriate for the owners activities.
Very generally a 4 blade will improve low to mid range performance and water sports power.It usually doesn't produce best top speed.

mike_runella

Cadet

Thanks for the reply back, yes this was by GPS, I will get back to you on that. The marine mechanic just tossed me a bill for 2700 to fix some other items, so might be a bit til I get it on the water again.

Thanks and have a great day!

Mike

crankman1

Cadet

I have the same boat exactly and mind has a four blade also.I really like this boat and never tried a 3 blade prop because i was very satisfied with the for blade.I found that our boats are a little under powered for the size and weight of this 25 footer.Please feel free to contact me about any questions or issues.I only have seen one other boat like ours on lake st claire in windsor ontario canada.If you try a 3 blade i would be interested on how it performs. Thx Ron

danalbrecht

Recruit
I picked up a project boat 252 crowne just took it out for first time couldn't get boat off plane rpm 2500 max, 14.8 diameter 15 inch 3 blade prop, boat did not have a prop on it, a dealer sold me this one but not sure he knew what he was doing... Suggestions? what size prop does this call for? Please help thanks

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
You should really start your own thread all the guys that were on here have likely moved on,except me lol.
If this is a project boat I think I would check the compression first.Off the top of my head a 15 seems really low number.
Guessing; I think "maybe " a 19" prop.
Seems like so low that propping for water sports or heavy load would be nearly impossible.
Is the motor in excellent tune,timing set right and advancing as it should?