1992 225 vx76 COLD START ISSUES

sdudra

Cadet
This motor is a pain in the butt to start when cold. Saturday, I pulled the boat out to get it ready to take the kids out on Sunday. I had not started it in a few months and finally had to pull the air box off and put my hands over the carbs to get it to fire. Once it fired it started. I was told when I had it in to be serviced that the "Choke Solenoid" needs to be replaced.

My procedures for starting it is as followed.

1. Pump primer bulb until it is really hard.
2. turn key over and try to crank it.

I DO NOT open the throttle up on the engine as this does nothing but allow more air to get in, not choke it.

As I stated, I had to pull the air box off of the LEFT side (sitting in front of the motor, oil tank on your right, etc) and cover the carbs to "choke" the engine. Once I did this motor fired and I pulled my hands away and you could EASILY see the fuel in the carbs. I put the air box back on and it fires right up.

I was told that the "primer pump" needs to be replaced? Suggestions?

Rodbolt, CONGRATULATIONS on your recent marriage, good luck on your outing to Orlando and your upcoming class. Let me know what you think! I do not want to spray ether in the engine as this cannot possibly be a good thing for the engine.

Thanks,

Stephen

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1992 225 vx76 COLD START ISSUES

this is easy.
for starters from now on out we will use the correct terms. the bow is the pointy end the stern or transom is the opposite end of the bow.
while sitting in the helm seat facing the bow port is left and that side is always refered to as port side reguardless of if your in the boat or on the dock barking at the moon. the stbd side is the one that is neither bow,transom or port side.
makes life a lot easier if all use the sme reference points.
with key on engine off listen for the primer pump running.
its a pulse type pump and makes a chattering sound.
this pump should run anytime the key is on.
it draws fuel from #6 carb bowl,lower carb on stbd side. remember this is a cross inducted loop charged engine.
hence the X in the V76X moniker.
from #6 bowl fuel flows through the pump,to all 6 enrichment solinoids through a pressure regulator that will maintain about 6 PSI on the enrichment circuits and back to #6 bowl.
the 6 enrichment solinoids are controled by the ECU for aid in cold starts,engine temp sensor and a crank signal, they also aid in knock reduction,rapid acceleration and rapid throttle closeings.
so I would start by making sure the pump is running and can maintain 6 PSI on the rail.
DO NOT try high speed full load runs if this pump wont work.
there is also a manual bypass,its that red lever with the wire over it just below the lift pumps.
your starting procedure is correct for a prime start engine we just need to figgure out what your missing. my guess is 6PSI on the enrichment fuel circuit.

sdudra

Cadet

Rod,

Thanks for the input! I plan on getting the boat out of the boat yard today and checking this out IN HOPES of getting it in the water this weekend.

On your way to Orlando, don't you need to stop for lunch in Jacksonville??? I am REALLY close to I-95 and will cook you and your bride whatever you would like! lol

I will check out what you have suggested and certainly let you and everyone else know what I find. I have feeling that the "primer pump" is maybe not functioning properly. But we shall see! Thanks again for all the help!

sdudra

Cadet

Rod,

What side is the MANUAL bypass on? Starboard or Port side? I am going to guess Port side and will go look again, but as of now, do not see anything resembling what your referring to.

If you have any pictures, that would be great as well.

Thanks,

Stephen

sdudra

Cadet

Rod,

After chasing down wires, I still found no switch. I started backwards looking at carb #6 and followed that to part # 61A-13910-01-00, Fuel Pump Assy. I checked the voltage using a volt meter and had 12 volts to the pump.

I googled that part # and found another post where this part number was referred to as a "high speed fuel pump". This, to me, made a light bulb go off in my head as you had said DO NOT try high speed full loads if this pump is not working.

I am going to assume, until I hear back from you that is, that this pump is the "primer pump and high speed pump".

The boat, to me, is dead in the water until I hear back from you otherwise. It sure is a nice costing pump that is for sure!!!

Please let me know if you think that this is the culprit of my issues. I think that I have the oil injection resolved with replacing the inline filter. I hope to hear back from you soon as the snapper are going off right now!!!!

thanks,

Stephen