1992 115 mercury trim help

dsacalaitman

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 6, 2009
Messages
1
I recently replaced my trim motor. I have a single ram trim. After changing the motor it will only trim down. I then heard a clicking sound from the relay with the blue wire. Relay was replaced and still the same out come. Then I swapped the connection from blue to green and when i actuated the switch down the trim then lifted i then swapped back the connections as they should be and i hit the down button it went down. what could it be the switch ? also the swith on my bow does the same as by my throttle.
 

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
5,617
Re: 1992 115 mercury trim help

Trim relay are dual-contact, containing two sets of contacts. One set normally closed and the other set normally open.

The trim motor 'grounds' thru the normally closed contacts, when either relay switches, opening the ground contacts and energising the positive contact, then the trim motor runs in that direction.

When one relay closes and the motor does not run, then the normally closed contacts one the OTHER relay are bad, the motor has no ground and does not run.

So if you switch the relay positions then the motor will now run up, but not down.
 
Top