1991 Thompson 255 Carrera - project thread

Thompson255

Cadet
Re: 1991 Thompson 255 Carrera - project thread

Well I bought some, don't think they're the same but we'll see how they work. Although I'm thinking about simply trying a table-mounted polisher. I found some videos on YouTube of people polishing cast aluminum to a near-chrome shine using that method, which is what I'm looking for.
Got the remaining stringer braces out:
photobucket-6637-1355864086718.jpg

Lifted up the fuel tank and saw that there were already large rotted holes in the subfloor beneath it:
photobucket-3770-1355864089376.jpg

Found deep pitting on the underside of the tank, which I'm assuming may have led to tiny weep holes? The floor smelled like gasoline (wondered why I was smelling gas ever since the shrink wrap was put on), and I'm pretty sure some of the fluid sloshing around on the hull beneath the rotted subfloor was gasoline:
photobucket-4992-1355864325799.jpg

She's looking pretty bare now:
photobucket-6339-1355864088467.jpg

I planned on getting the remaining carpet (2sq.ft.) off the port side of the hull but my awesome marina shut the power off today for some reason and no one was there, so I couldn't use my grinder or Dremel MultiTool. Oh well, looks like that about does it for 2012. I'm glad I got all of the major demolition done; the stringers and bulkheads are so rotten they'll be easy to remove. Exactly 1 month later, the only money I have spent is on tools (and marina storage fees), and I'm not counting that as a boat expense since I now own them :lol:
I figure starting in early January the stringer/bulkhead replacement will start. Goal is to have a new deck installed and the engine pulled by March 16. Merry Christmas everyone!!!

Thompson255

Cadet

Weather has finally warmed up, back at it.
Cut out nearly all of the remaining base floors (don't know what else to call them) in the ski locker and fuel tank area. Also cut out the center sections of the two forward bulkhead.
photobucket-2173-1362943948481_zps17cdf061.jpg

As expected, the wood that is now exposed on both of them is not rotted at all, just the center sections were bad. So I will even out/level the cuts, prep the surfaces and drop in new wood to repair the bulkheads and start tackling the forward stringers.

Thompson255

Cadet

Have made significant progress over the last week. I removed the bow light fixture, and have started removing the cleats, which will be replaced with the kind that mount flush to the boat. Also started sanding the entire cabin area, in preparation for vinyl application. Also cut half of the shrink wrap off and replaced it with a tarp, to allow access for a forklift when I have the engine pulled later this month.
I have cut out all four of the main side stringers, and have started cutting and fitting in the replacement pieces. Here you can see the mid bulkhead when I finally finished fitting it:
IMG_20130407_145850_360_zpsb6679bf5.jpg

I placed double thick strips of the old carpeting over the center stringers to lift the notched bulkhead about a quarter inch off, then made my fine cuts accordingly so that it follows the contours of the hull. I will do the same thing for the rear bulkhead when I get to that. I have a lot more grinding to do, then I'll cut out the current remainder of the mid bulkhead and glass in the new piece. Rinse and repeat.
Tarp:
2013-03-23_11-53-32_844_zps7ef1315d.jpg

Thompson255

Cadet

Update on my seating issue: decided to just buy two new seats, but want to salvage the pedestals and bases. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about refinishing the (adjustable sliding) bases, but I have finished the pedestals themselves.
Here's what they looked like originally after a thorough washing:
IMG_20130330_123856_496_zps4760871a.jpg

After polishing with a table grinder with 2 stages of pads and compounds:
IMG_20130330_173018_741_zps5a5b076b.jpg

After priming with Ace brand aluminum primer:
IMG_20130331_124630_184_zps6bfede3f.jpg

After 3 coats of Rust-oleum metallic and 2 coats of gloss clear:
IMG_20130408_151430_094_zps0b4538c8.jpg

IMG_20130408_151452_218_zpsaaeaaebe.jpg

Lwarden

Petty Officer 1st Class

No flotation foam huh? guess thats a good thing? nothing to soak up and hold water~ and nothing to remove which i hear is a bear~

Finished getting the deck out and all but two of the PO's stringer bracers. Vacuumed out most of the boat. Lifted the fuel tank up on an angle as shown in the picture, it appears to be in rough shape on the underside, so it will be replaced.
photobucket-6028-1355190429401.jpg

Two more bracers and a few square feet of carpet to come out, then a good cleaning and it's on to phase two... Rebuilding.

Thompson255

Cadet

No, I've heard that most boats over 25' don't have foam (although at a recent boat show I learned that Cruisers puts foam in even larger boats). I'm glad because it saves time/hassle during demolition and money/time/hassle during the rebuild.

Also I want to note that I just recently started grinding for the first time, in jeans and a t-shirt (and proper eye and respiratory protection). The itching is as bad as most people on this forum have said, but after I took a hot shower the itching stopped a few hours later. So I'm not going to bother buying those suits, seems like a waste of money.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Just catching up on this thread. She'll be a nice ride when you're done. Are you planning on using her on the upper Chesapeake or the Delaware?

Thompson255

Cadet

Upper Chesapeake. Probably 90% of the time will be between the Bohemia and Sassafras rivers.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Are you on the upper Chesapeake Facebook group? If not definitely join. Search for "upper Chesapeake recreational boaters". Lots of members and they have meet ups darn near every week.

Thompson255

Cadet

Hm I'd love to join but I finally got off Facebook about a year ago. Maybe once I'm in the water I'll have to get back on again...

25thmustang

Lieutenant Commander

No, I've heard that most boats over 25' don't have foam (although at a recent boat show I learned that Cruisers puts foam in even larger boats). I'm glad because it saves time/hassle during demolition and money/time/hassle during the rebuild.

Also I want to note that I just recently started grinding for the first time, in jeans and a t-shirt (and proper eye and respiratory protection). The itching is as bad as most people on this forum have said, but for some reason it was only on my arms and torso. Face and head never itched at all. Any idea why? And I took a thorough, hot shower soon after finishing and the itching stopped a few hours later. So I'm not going to bother buying those suits, seems like a waste of money.

My 1987 29' Cruisers was foam filled (to an extent). Supposedly not able to sink.

Looking like your digging in head first. Great work and attitude.

Thompson255

Cadet

Cut and fit the center section of the forward bulkhead, read to be cleated and glassed:

Cut and fit the rear bulkhead:

Cut the outer stringers, fitting this weekend:

Thompson255

Cadet

Nearly all the new pieces have been cut and sealed. I unfortunately don't have better pics of when I finished, but I installed two of the new inner stringers this weekend. I should get the outer ones done next weekend.

Thompson255

Cadet

Your boat is very similar to mine and Im doing pretty much the same thing you are. Im going to be curious to see what your plan for the flooring is going to be? you can check out my thread if you'd like @ http://forums.iboats.com/boat-resto...a-sprite-225-ssb-transom-re-build-596951.html good luck!

I think I posted a drawing of my planned deck layout somewhere in this thread previously. For the deck itself it will likely be simply 3/4" plywood sealed and glassed, with a white gel coat. Then maybe next year I'll get snap-in carpet.

Thompson255

Cadet

A quick update - I just discovered a screw that went through the hull.. looks to be somewhere in the engine bay.

My little brother discovering the joys of grinding:

The forward stringer and some other pieces cut:

The mid-bulkhead nearly completely glassed in:

I am going to double the width of the port side bulkhead notch to allow space for a cleat, since this is where I cut out the old stringer. The new one will be cleated to the remaining section, then fully glassed in.

Thompson255

Cadet

Hello, sorry for the delay in updating this thread. Unfortunately I'm no longer going to be maintaining this thread. It might be my computer but this site has always given me difficulty, so I started a simple blog elsewhere to track my progress for whoever is interested (sorry if I'm not supposed to post this sort of thing on here): Azura's Star | Restoration of a 1991 Thompson 255 Carrera

Thanks and happy boating!