1991 Seaswirl floor repair

i had to remove most of the floor it was soft and rot. Also the fiberglass motor mounts were also completely rotted. Few questions, what wood to use for the floor? And how should I tie it back to the sides of the hull?

Attachments

• photo312142.jpg
    photo312142.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

Redtruck12

Petty Officer 1st Class
Likely 1/2 inch plywood acx (exterior grade Douglas fir preferred) coated with resin , polyester, epoxy whatever your using (for waterproofing). Secured down with adhesive (I used 3M 5200 adhesive) then tabbed into the hull, likely 2 layers
it looks like you have a bit more cutting to do along the edges

Ciera2450

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I would advise slowing down.... if the floor and engine mounts were “completely” rotted. Odds are the stringers, transom, bulkheads, everything else is too..
The floor is most often the very last thing to rot. Drill small holes into he stringers and transom in several locations toward the bottom... wet, soggy, wood= no good

the wood I can see in your pic doesn’t look horrible! Maybe you’re one of the lucky

steve_h7

Chief Petty Officer
What does “tabes into the hull” mean?

https://youtu.be/KE_Fl8ruiaI

Watch this video. Tabbing starts about 4:25. You can learn a ton watching his whole Youtube series about this boat. It's extensive so you'll need several hours to watch it all... and not everyone will agree with everything he does in his build, but it explains a lot of what you'll need to be ready to do. He does a great job documenting the build of his boat. :thumb:

The stringers are good, I have replaced all the rot wood but there was not too much.

My my question is how should I tie in the new deck plywood to the side of the boat, right now I have left about 1” of existing deck at the edge.

thanks.

Attachments

• photo313860.jpg
    photo313860.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2

alldodge

Staff member
The edge acn be used as a guide to follow the original position, but not needed to retab in. WOG has some good threads, but just ruff and clean up all around, then start tabing back in place. Start with small lap, then next layer more overlap and then the 3rd