1991 force 150 no spark

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice
I just picked up a bayliner cobra bass boat with a 150 HP force outboard. Brought it home it ran fine. Cleaned up boat and engine, then it wouldn't start. Found no spark to plugs. After trying to figure it out all the sudden it just started working and ran fine once again. Started it multiple times before my first boat trip without any issues. Got to the lake started up, rode about 10 miles without any problem. Stopped to fish, then boat would not restart. Had to be pulled into marina. Still no spark. Any info would be great

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1991 force 150 no spark

It could be an ignition switch getting ready to fail. I'm not sure which ignition you have, US Marine or Mercury. US Marine was still (I think) Prestolite. Stop circuit was the white wire. Stop wire on the Mercury system is the black with yellow trace.

SO, Next time the problem happens disconnect the relavent colored wire and try to start. If it does start, try replacing the ignition switch.

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

I traced it out, it is a black wire with yellow trace. I disconnected it Still no spark. I think it is the ignition module. But not certain. Im not sure how to test it. Will be getting a manual soon. Assuming it will tell me how to test the modules

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

And it is still not starting, which is good I guess to find the problem. Hate intermittent problems. Harder to track down

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

find a part for your motor here like stator or trigger and it will have a pdf that has troubleshooting instructions. It was helpful in fixing my engine this year - had the original stator and i think wires dry rotted. Anyhow I put a new stator on and it runs good now. But I'm not sure you issue is the same since it is intermittent. Mine would get nothing until i replaced it.

http://www.outboardignition.com/force.asp?cat=horsepower&val=3

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

I'll take a look thanks, it is not running at all now. Not sure how intermittent it is. I just bought it. Had the problem once, then OK, now nothing is working

Jiggz

Captain

It's time to do some serious troubleshooting. If the unit will not even cough (one or two plugs firing) during starting, disconnect all kill wires from the CDMs (don't let these wires touch ground), i.e. from the terminal board in the engine compartment and then try again. If no go, read the output voltage from the stator three sets of wires. These are the brown wires with different color tracers like blue, yellow and green. For each set of wires while cranking the voltage should be at least 150+ Vac. The trigger voltage should be around 4+ Vac. If you do not get this readings it's time to inspect under the flywheel. Here's a wiring I found on my cd manual.

Wiring Diagram 1991 150 HP.jpg

lldenney

Recruit

I just picked up a bayliner cobra bass boat with a 150 HP force outboard.... Still no spark. Any info would be great

Just fixed mine with same problem
No spark to any plug is a 100% burned out stator(highly unlikely), a short to ground or open ground (Possible- check fuses and electrical connections), or a dead rectifier. (My problem) It can be killed by touching the connectors and shorting it. My (3) mechanics said it was probably a stator or the "expensive" side of the motor. I say that No spark coupled with 100% correct resistance readings on the stator, = BEFORE the stator as any electricity to it would create SOME spark somewhere. I bought 2 manuals, SELOC and Force.

It was my rectifier, just before the stator, completely fried. I'm asking for my $200 back that they charged me to tell me they didn't know what they were doing. :facepalm:

Good luck, electricity is logic. It can only do certain things. If you're getting starter turning, then you can work from that source. ;)

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

Where did you find your new rectifier? Cost?I have the long black ignition module, not the blue cdi. So I think its the mercury/ force. Haven't had as much luck finding parts

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

Also how do I find my model and serial #? I believe I have found where the tag was supposed to be, but nothing there other then empty screw holes. I have narrowed it down by diagrams to be the latest model 150. Force 150 HP (1992-1994) IGNITION SYSTEM (91B Thru 92C - 0E000001 Thru 0E093699). So I guess that was when mercury had taken over?

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

i could be wrong but I don't think a blown rectifier will keep it from starting. I think that will only keep the charging from working and the tach from working.

you do need to check the resistance of the wires on the stator

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

The outboard troubleshooter page I can't find.the 5 cylinder motor. Only goes to the 4cylinder. Haven't Found anything with the proper wiring diagram to test the wiring. The diagrams above are to small To read

Jiggz

Captain

Have you tried printing the above diagram? Or even save it as jpg file and enlarge on your computer? or Printer? If not click on the image to open it on a separate window. Right click on the image and select "Save Image as". As soon as you have it opened in your computer you can zoom it to your liking and print it to any size you want as your printer permits.

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

I will try that, i just opened the file. Went blurry if i enlarged it. I will try and save first. From what I can see, I don't think either diagram matches my motor. I only have 1 ignition module and switch. From what I recently found it appears to be latest series motor after 1992

QUOTE=Jiggz;4025697]Have you tried printing the above diagram? Or een save it as jpg file and enlarge on your computer? or Printer? If not click on the image to open it on a separate window. Right click on the image and select "Save Image as". As soon as you have it opened in your computer you can zoom it to your liking and print it to any size you want as your printer permits.[/QUOTE]

Jiggz

Captain

If that diagram is not your engine's, then try this one.
Wiring Diagram 91-94 150 HP.jpg

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

Ok got home after work and ran some tests for the motor using the outboard diagnostics site. Im using just a regular volt meter. Hope that gives me accurate readings. But this is what I got

NO FIRE ANY CYLINDER
1. Check the red wire from the battery at cranking, minimum voltage is 9.5. (read around 10.6)

2.Check DVA voltage on the purple/white terminal at cranking. A Minimum of of 0.3V is needed to trigger the switch box. If the voltage is low, check the DVA voltage from the white/black trigger wire to the yellow, black, brown, white and purple trigger wires, If you read 4V or more, the switch box is likely bad. ( read a little over 0.4V on the purple/white terminal) Only read about 1V on the trigger wires

3.Check the DVA voltage on the blue terminal at cranking, reading should should be
approx 250V. (Only read about 150 at the highest on the blue terminal)

Any suggestions on where to go from here? Or any thoughts on what could be the problem with my readings so far?

Jiggz

Captain

looks like the trigger voltage is really very low. I will try to clean all connections and visually inspect all trigger wires and then read voltage again. If the voltage doesn't improve you need to look under the flywheel and visually check the trigger unit itself.

jstaguy24

Seaman Apprentice

Does anyone know.the size of.the nut on the flywheel to remove it? Is
it metric? Could not get any standards up to 1-1/8 I think to fit. Need to buy one