1990 Sea Doo Bombadier Not running

Faerbairn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I recently picked up a 1990 Ski Doo Bombardier Jet Ski 600cc

I downloaded the manual and it shows the spark plugs clearly the opposite of what I have set up in mine. I know it has spark, it almost starts, it has good compression. It does seem that the plugs are fowling really fast.

My thoughts are either the oil pump is putting in too much oil or the spark plug wires are reversed.

What should I do?

redsped117

Cadet
Re: 1990 Sea Doo Bombadier Not running

What do you mean by "almost"starting? If it turns over and sputters and sounds like its about to fire up then your spark plugs are wired correctly. If it just continually turns over and never really seems like it is going to fire up then try switching the wires, cant really hurt just might flood out your engine then youll have to dry it out.

Faerbairn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

It sounds good, but it never almost starts. I am going to switch them. Plus, from your description it sounds like they are all "wet" right now.

Do I simply pull the plug and let them air dry? Perhaps blow some compressed air inside and vent it out?

Faerbairn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I switched the wires and it nearly started! Then it seemed to be flooded again. I know it has good compression. I know it has fuel, but I think it might be flooded with too much oil being automatically injected.

Can I temporarily shut this off and run a 2 cycle fuel mix thru it to see if that works?

Any other ideas?

Thanks

Faerbairn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still trying to get it started. How do I shut off the oil injection pump? I want to just put in some mixed fuel and see if that helps it run...

fordworker

Seaman Apprentice

check the rod bearings, bad bearings can throw off the timing enough to cause this problem.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

It doesn't matter if you switch the wires or not. Both fire at the same time on this two cylinder jetski.

What you need to do is get a mirror and hold it down near the base of the intake under the carbs. The oil pump is there and its activated by a cable. If the cable breaks, the oil pump reverts to fully open and it will pump a lot of oil into intake and foul the plugs.

On the oil pump, there are two lines that should line up at idle. My guess is that it is misaligned or the wire has stretched or something. Using the mirror, you can check the alignment of the oil pump and adjust the pump so that it lines up like it should.

You need to decide if it is fuel fouling or oil fouling.. probably fuel fouling. Have you rebuilt the carb(s)?

93baylinerjazz

Seaman Apprentice

i use to have one of these, only i believe it was a 550cc?

anyhow, my oil injectors were clogged, so i always just ran premixed
worked fine for 2 years until i sold it

not saying that is the answer, but if it comes down to it you could let the oil reservoir just run dry then run premix

the carb on these was pretty easy to clean (Mikuni if I remember correctly). Might not even need to re-kit it if your careful.

slag

Chief Petty Officer

You can't just let the oil reservoir run dry on these models unless you also setup an oil bath loop for the bronze rotary gear so it stays bathed in oil. The two stroke oil serves two purposes. One, it provides lubrication for the combustion chamber and crank, and two, it provides lubrication for the rotary gear.